Chapter - 5

Amrit hated the way she looked. With such typical orange and magenta colors she looked like a poster girl for a bad garment shop advertisement. But Nimmi chachi had insisted on this combination and had even placed the dupatta on her head.

"I hate it," she had told her.

"Showing a little tradition never hurts," Nimmi had replied as she had done the same for Kulraj.

"Relax di," Kulraj had said, "you tell the guy this is not how you usually wear clothes," she had said.

But if it would mean that the boy would say no then Amrit was game, a little reluctantly, though she still did not want to look like this. And then when she had been shown the jewelry she was to wear she had flipped. Then they had agreed for her to wear bell shaped gold earrings and a delicate chain. She had even refused to wear the colorful bangles.

"She is so difficult," Nimmi had complained, "how is she going to adjust at her in laws' place," she had said.

"That will happen when I agree to this match chachi," Amrit had replied and Nimmi had walked out on a huff and Kulraj had chuckled.

Amrit had met her mother when she had come into her room with her lunch but their conversation had been strained just as it had always been. For some reason Amrit couldn't let go of her past and her mother refused to acknowledge she had made any mistakes. After that Roop had left on the pretext of getting some preparations done in the kitchen. It had saddened Amrit to see where their relationship had gone but it was a bitter truth and she refused to give in till Roop did not accept that she had been at fault.

Amrit looked at herself in the mirror and wondered where her life was heading. If for some reason she got married to this man would he support her enough to achieve what she had set out to achieve or would he expect her to drop everything since she was married to him. How was he to live with? Would her in laws be understanding? Beeji had said they were a progressive family but what did that mean? Plus the guy was in the army what would it be like to be married to a man in uniform? She had no idea. She hoped he would say no. She couldn't unless there was something really really wrong with him. Beeji had warned her to not intimidate him and she had agreed. She couldn't really go against her word. Oh! This was all such a mess. Then she heard loud voices from outside and watched an excited Kulraj enter her room.

"They are here," she said.

"Who are?" Amrit asked.

What she meant was whether it was Abhay and his family or Sameer and his family.

"Everyone," she said excitedly, "I just saw Sameer get down from his car and di you are going to love the guy beeji has found for you. He looks so much better than Sameer. Actually I am a bit confused," she said and furrowed her brows together, "I mean there were two of them," she said, "both tall and good looking I wonder how many boys did beeji get to see you today?" she wondered loudly.

"Must be his brother," Amrit said adjusting the stupid dupatta on her head again. No matter how much she tried it kept falling and she felt like an idiot. "Beeji told me he was coming with his family and had a younger brother who worked in Bangalore," she said a bit irritated.

"It doesn't stay put does it," Kulraj said with good humor, "mine too so I put a pin through it to keep it from falling off," she said and grinned.

Amrit smiled. Kulraj had always been chirpy and affectionate.

"Smart," Amrit said and tucked a pin to keep the dupatta from moving too much and sighed with relief.

"Yeah," Kulraj said as she sat cross legged on her bed, "Sameer told me that though he was very broadminded his mother was a little traditional so for me to look like that was important though later I don't have to keep my head covered," she told her.

"But don't you want them to see you the way you are," Amrit said thinking it a bit strange that Sameer even suggested something like this, "what if they expect you to keep your head covered at all times how will you live with that?" she asked.

"They will not," Kulraj said innocently, "Sameer promised he will talk to them," she said.

Amrit wanted to protest and get her sister to see where pretending to be somebody else would not help her later but Nimmi chachi came in and told them to follow her to the kitchen.

Showtime Amrit thought and rose from her seat before the mirror. For some reason she couldn't comprehend she took one last look at herself. She wasn't being vain but if this was the man she was to marry she wanted to look her best though this was not her best but still.

And with that she followed Kulraj and Nimmi out.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!