Chapter - 2

"Beeji do you think she will come?" Roop asked as she sat on the bed with her mother in law.

"Roop, your problem is you worry too much," Beeji said, "learn something from Amrit. Have you ever seen her worried over anything?" she asked. Then as she looked at Roop she sighed. What her eldest daughter in law hadn't learnt in thirty one years of her marriage she will not learn now. "She will come. I know her, grudgingly but she will not go against me besides she is fond of Kulraj too. She wouldn't do anything to jeopardize her big day," she said patiently.

"But what if she says no," Roop said and bit her lip.

"I am not giving her a choice this time Roop," beeji said, "I am just as worried for her. I know what happened five years ago has hurt her a lot and all of you messed up badly to the point where she has moved away but she needs to learn things are never the same, they change with time. And this boy will prove to be the correct partner for her," she said wisely, "I have seen him and I have met with his family too. They are wonderful people, progressive, very modern in thinking. They also agree that Amrit is the right match for their son. Once the marriage takes place it is a journey they will have to take on their own. Our job is done," she said.

"Whatever you say beeji," Roop conceded, "but you do know Amrit. She has rejected over a hundred proposals," she pointed out.

"Roop, they were proposals that were brought by you or Nimmi or the others," beeji said shaking her head, "and all of those boys were jerks to be honest. There was no depth of character or maturity in any of them. This proposal has been brought by me and I have evaluated this boy personally. She will not say no," she said confidently.

Roop looked mutely at the older woman. Ever since she had come into this family she had known beeji to be the wisest and the shrewdest person ever. Not even her late father in law was a match to her. And she had never been known to go wrong. Amrit was a lot like her no wonder she had been a favorite with beeji. She just wished everything happened the way beeji had planned because she really wanted to see Amrit settled. Look at Nimmi she had already gotten her son married and was about to get her daughter married too. There was no competition Roop reminded herself but Amrit was twenty nine and the older she got good matches were going to get fewer and with the reputation Amrit had built for herself, people had already started to talk. The match beeji had brought was one that Roop was not in the favor of but when beeji had ordered them to back off they had. She wasn't selfish but she had her youngest daughter to think about too. Who would marry her with an elder sister still sitting unmarried? In small cities like Ambala things were still very much the old fashioned ways. For now Roop had left everything on fate.

Like a good mother she just wanted her eldest daughter to settle down. Her middle one Simrit was already married with a kid while Preeti still had a couple of years before they started to look for a match for her. She just hoped Amrit would say yes. After all they hadn't told her the big secret yet. She could only pray Amrit wouldn't throw a fit over it that is provided she came.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!