37.Conversation between two friends

.

.

.

.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................

It was a week and an half later and the whole village of Selardalr was buzzing in anticipation as they prepared for a great celebration. Vikings were on the backs of their dragons stringing banners of colorful designs all over the place, from the man beams of houses and on the towering pillars on the streets. The banners themselves had tribal designs made in vibrant colored paints, some depicted the visages of dragons and their riders, while others had images of the gods Odin, Thor, Magni, and the rest. Like so many times in recent years, the sky was perfectly clear, a beautiful shade of blue, with the sun shining down providing the perfect temperature for one of today's two big events: the Sky Parade.

The parade began years ago as a commemorative celebration for Hiccup's bringing peace between Vikings and dragons. It was held every year on the anniversary of the day Hiccup defeated the Red Death and was brought home by Syn and the other teens. The villagers would gather large groups of one breed of dragon and guide them in coordinated flight paths around the village. It started out limited, with just the common breeds of Nadders, Gronckles, Zipplebacks, Terrors, and Nightmares, but became more interesting to the populace once other, rarer breeds of dragons started coming around. Now the parade had dragons of all breeds coming, making for an extravagant performance. And with the addition of the Chinese dragons, Xiao Longs as they were called, the whole event became more spectacular. They could swim around and unleash their blasts of rainbow-colored fire that swirled around and danced in the air before bursting in a shower of shimmering embers. It was always a crowd-pleaser and so they were reserved exclusively for the parade and the championship dragon race.

The guy responsible for planning the parades and now was at the center of attention was now hanging out outside the Great Hall, just sitting on the steps slumped down. Today was perhaps the biggest day of his life, a day he never thought possible. The day he, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, the Dragon Whisperer, became chief of a tribe. It was an awkward feeling to be sure: he may have been born into a position of authority as the heir to Berk, he certainly never thought he was the leader-type. No one else saw that quality in him either, rather they saw it absurd to think such a weak boy whose heart bled as much as he did as the result of the many accidents he caused could ever become the leader of anything.

He always figured Snotlout would take over; everyone seemed to like him more as a leader anyway, regardless of his unbearable attitude. Hiccup would have been just fine fading into the crowd on that day, keeping peoples' expectations of him as low as possible, so he couldn't disappoint anyone anymore. He would stopped being pushed around, forced to be something he could never be, and just maybe, his father and everyone else could cut him some slack for once.

Hiccup scoffed; who was he kidding? The second Snotlout became chief, he'd be shipped off the island tied in rope so he wouldn't do anything stupid and tossed into a boat like a sack of dead weight, his last view of Berk being the village cheering in celebration over his banishment. As certain as it would be that Snotlout's being chief would lead to disaster, his ascension to the role would have been the perfect excuse to be rid of the village nuisance. People had had it out for him since the beginning and sending him away would have been something more heavily anticipated than any birthday, festival, or Snoggletog. They most certainly wouldn't expect anything from him anymore because he wouldn't be around to sicken them anymore with his abnormality and clumsiness. Best day on Berk, ever...