22. YOU'RE GOING TO FIND THE WHAT?!

Previous Chapter..........

"I'm going to find the dragon's nest."

NOW~~~

..........................................................................................................................................................

Toothless's eyes just bulged and his jaw dropped to the ground in shock and fear - 'THAT'S what this was all about, Hiccup wanted to find the nest? No, absolutely not' Toothless decided, he had no idea what was there, waiting for someone foolish enough to approach. Going there would spell certain doom for Hiccup, if she had anything to say about it.

Syn's face was just as incredulous, but unlike Toothless, she had managed to muster up enough nerve to reply back. "Th- THE NEST?! The same nest that Vikings have been looking for since sailing to these islands centuries ago and are still looking for now. What makes you think you've got any better of a chance than my dad, your dad, or the other chiefs?"

Hiccup gestured a hand to the still in-shock dragon next to him. "Cause I've got him." That seemed to wake the dragon up as he turned his head to look at his well-meaning but stupid boy.

"Toothless? What does he have to do with it?" Syn asked.

"Think about it, it's a dragon nest, so wouldn't it make sense that only dragons could find it. My dad said the nest is somewhere near Helheim's Gate but that place is covered with a thick fog that no one can sail through. The dragons can navigate through it; if Toothless can take me there and I can find out what's going on, why they raid us..."

"What do you mean, 'why they raid us?' Everyone knows they want our food." Syn raised an eyebrow perplexed.

"Yeah, but if food was all they wanted, they could just get it out of the ocean. When they say 'there's plenty of fish in the sea,' they aren't just talking about dating! Why steal from us when there's a more abundant and safer source of food... e-everywhere else?" He waved his arms around to emphasize his point. Not that it wasn't strong already, there were millions of fish in the ocean, why only steal the ones that Vikings caught? It wasn't like they were lazy or anything, evidenced by how they were willing to fight, and their strong features made them excellent hunters by nature.

"Okay, but exactly what is it you expect to find there? What makes you think there's some big secret as to why they raid us at the nest at all?" Syn just seemed to be getting more and more confused. For all she knew, there were just a bunch of dragons and a huge pile of stolen food and animals. Nothing more.

"There HAS to be something! Dragons are amazing, kind, and loyal creatures: I can't believe they'd attack us just because they want free food!" Hiccup shouted, startling Syn so much she stepped back a bit. Toothless already had the answer he was looking for, though, and he didn't want Hiccup to find it for himself. At that moment, he jumped right in front of Hiccup and let loose a roar flooded with fear. At that point, people must have been deaf not to hear what was going on.

Hiccup was so startled he actually fell over to the ground. "Ah! Toothless, what is wrong with you!?"

'What's wrong with ME? You're insane to want to go there!' Toothless barked out frantically, though Hiccup could see that though Toothless was scolding him about something, he looked more scared than angry. 'You go there and SHE'LL eat you alive! I am not about to let you throw away your life - I am not about to lose my best friend to that monster just for some stupid stunt of heroism!'

"Toothless, just calm down bud!" Hiccup ordered, but it was no use. Toothless was hysterical with the terror of losing the person that meant the world to him, flapping his wings and bouncing around like that fear was a set of chains binding him to the ground when he wanted to take off and fly. Why couldn't he understand that he was just trying to protect him, that the farther they were away from that place, the better? Besides, Toothless didn't want her anywhere near himself, either, still remembering the grip she had had on him. "Will you stop freaking out? I need you to do this!"