Happily Never After

When happily ever after isn't always so black and white.

A SHORT prequel snippet to a possible sasusaku story? I don't know for sure; it was mostly just a random thought I had.

.
.
.

"Sakura—" Pause. Their eyes met. She sucked in a sharp breath as he lowered to one knee; producing an intricately woven, silver band with a huge, ruby-red gem in the direct center. Her hand flew to her mouth. "Will you marry me?"

Tears began to cascade and a mixture of feelings flooded her system, causing her brain to short-circuit momentarily. But then, the smallest of voices, the one of reasoning that resided in the back of her mind, reaches the only, obvious conclusion. With shaky hands she reached for his cheeks; cupping them gently before bending at the hips to kiss him soundly. When she pulled back, she whispered a soft and resounding, "Yes."

Her beloved slipped the specially crafted ring on her finger and a choir of voices cheered behind them in the distance in utter celebration of their engagement as their lips joined again briefly. He took her by the hand and led her back to the restaurant to celebrate; the couple rejoicing with family and friends for their soon-to-be happily ever after.

... or so they thought.