Sleep

When exhaustion wins.

Sasusaku blank-period. Short snippet. After redemption.

.
.
.

Settling themselves underneath the comfort of her sheets had become a regular thing since his return to the village; the smooth transition for them between platonic friends to experimental, but committed lovers a smooth one.

Smooth as in they had exchanged a few tentative touches, even in public much to Sakura's astonishment, and shared in their first kiss, and several others thereafter, but had yet to move into the realm of anything third base... which was fine with her, as she wanted Sasuke to be the one to make the first moves; going at whatever pace he wanted instead of her own as they explored these new feelings together.

Sakura tucked her hands beneath her head and let out a soft sigh of contentment as Sasuke settled in next to her on the mattress; his lean frame turned to face her; just as she was facing him. "So, how was your day, Sasuke-kun," she started.

"Fine. I kicked Naruto's ass during our spar earlier." The hint of a small smirk lifted the corner of his lips, and she giggled while placing her hands over her lips to stifle the sound.

"I'm sure he was thrilled."

"He demanded an instant rematch."

"And?"

"I won that one too."

Sakura laughed loudly then, the sound angelic to his ears, causing his expression to significantly soften. "I-I beat him the other day too...," she finally said after her laughter had died down some; though the joy still tinged her voice. "But I think it's just because he's way too afraid to hit a woman. Especially me."

Sasuke scoffed indignantly and rolled his eyes. "You don't give yourself enough credit, Sakura. You are stronger than you think." She blushed at this form of flattery, lowering her heavily lidded gaze to his hand...which had slowly situated itself halfway between them, coming to rest comfortably on the sheets. Sakura quickly cleared her throat and changed the subject to lighter things; discussing plans such as what both of their schedules would be like for this weekend, and what she had accomplished at work that day. That's not to mention the massive project she was currently undertaking with Kabuto to help him with the orphanage's expansion.

But the fuchsia-haired kunoichi had come to learn the hard way that exhaustion was one's worst enemy, and soon felt her heavily lidded eyes lowering before closing completely. And in the midst of discussing the blueprints that both she and the (previous antagonist) presently redeemed shinobi had finally agreed on... Sakura had managed to somehow fall fast asleep; lips parted slightly while her chest rose and fell evenly with each breath she took.

Today had of course been more exhausting than most.

But the Uchiha patriarch didn't mind...his gaze focusing on Sakura's serene expression as he gently pulled the covers up to her shoulders... tucking them behind her back before carefully scooting an inch closer to her warmth.

His fingertips brushed across her exposed skin tentatively; the touches familiar as he traced the contour of her cheeks before settling his large palm on her neck...gently trapping and then rubbing the soft silky pink strands of her shoulder length hair between his fingers. Sakura shifted slightly, one leg lifting upward to rest comfortably on top of his own and he felt surprised at ease with the proximity of her body. So much so that he felt his own eyelids begin to droop heavily as moonlight streamed in through the large picture window behind her; shrouding them in its almost ethereal glow.

Allowing them to fall closed, he concentrated on evening his breathing to mirror her own; his entire body going lax as sleep quickly consumed him shortly thereafter; his hand still resting comfortably on top of her neck, with strands of pink tangled around his digits.