Outcast

When nobody else protects her, he is always there.

A short sasusaku werewolf snippet. (Because I'm obsessed with wolves; so sorry!)

.
.
.

The rainfall pelted her snowy-white fur, sending spasming shivers down her spine, and she curled in on herself even more— ever the outcast of their little pack; watching as the other wolves sought shelter in the nearby cave. She knew she wouldn't stand a chance of entering without a fight and she was too fatigued to argue with them to earn her spot in the dry shelter. So, she settled for the only thing she could find; a barely large enough for even her curvy hindquarters nest underneath a nearby tree.

Closing her tired eyes, she readied herself for a fitful night of sleep. But then—

The lightest thud of footsteps, a strong presence, and then a large, warm body settled near her makeshift nest behind her. Sakura opened just one of her eyes, carefully peeking out at the familiar newcomer with a weary reluctance. The wolf snorted and appeared to roll his eyes before circling, sniffing, and marking the space surrounding them with the scent glands on his cheeks. She huffed at his possessive demeanor and adjusted her position a little to rest her front paws underneath her chin. She licked her lips and sighed.

He shook his midnight fur out and then approached. She simply waited for him; knowing what was coming next and knowing that she couldn't change his mind.

He nuzzled her nose and muzzle gently, gliding over to her cheeks and neck, then down to her back, before lying next to her curled up form. His heavy head lowered and sagged onto her lower thigh as he used his body to shield her from the freezing temperatures and rain. She almost growled at him in protest, until he gave her a low warning growl of his own. She huffed out of her nose and sighed before settling into his form more snuggly.

The warmth of his body and the soft pattering of rain falling on the floral canopy above helped to lull her to sleep.