Chapter 71

"How are you ... what is ... who are you?" Grandma Morgan asked with tears pouring down her face.

"Grams, it's me, I'm here to make things right." he said, reaching out for her.

She pulled back quickly, hiding behind Jeremy and Chris clearly didn't like that. He growled at her and grabbed her arm, pulling her away from my brother. Jeremy tried to interfere but Chris smacked him and sent him flying.

"Jer!" I shouted but didn't run because all of a sudden Chris was standing in front of me.

"Baby ... you look so beautiful." he said.

He reached out to caress my cheek and I pulled away as well. Anger flitted over his face but he quickly smoothed it out and smiled.

"How?" I asked.

"Oh, you know how this happens." he smirked.

"How are you alive? What the hell is happening?" Grandma Morgan demanded.

"I was attacked by a vampire grandma, you should know all about them seeing as you've had one living here for months now." he said, that simmering anger showing again.

"What are you ... vampires?" she asked, hyperventilating.

"We'll get back to that later. I'm here to fix things." he said.

"Fix them how?" I asked.

"My family ... I stood away until I knew I could control myself around you all. I can now and we can go back to being a family. I can raise my daughter." He said, looking over to the playpen when she squealed.

I quickly moved and stood in front of her, blocking her from his view.

"No, you can't ..."

"My daughter, not that muscle-brained bastard. He thought he could come in here and take my family, my family! You brought another man around my child and she calls him dad!" he growled.

"You died ... we thought you were dead and I ..."

"She calls a stranger dad!" he angrily stated.

"I moved on, Chris. You know that we weren't even together and ..."

"We can be together now."

"No, we can't." I said.

"Yes, we will be." he insisted.

"Chris, even before your attack we weren't together. We just didn't work and that's not going to change now. I'm so sorry but ..."

"No! I'm back now and we're going to be a family." he stated.

"You can't expect ..."

"This is my family! I won't allow you all to be taken from me again by anyone. No fucking animal-drinking vampire is gonna take my family away."

"What are you talking about?" Grandma Morgan asked.

"Please don't ..." I whispered.

"Right, I should explain Grandma. I was attacked by a serial killer, a vampire, and she bit me, left me to turn into a vampire too. Then I decided to stay away because I wanted to make sure that I didn't put you in danger only to come back and find you in the house that I had built for you, for us, with another man! A fucking vampire! And you have the fucking nerve to look scared of me!" he shouted, making Ava cry.

"This is impossible." Grandma muttered as I tried to soothe Ava.

"My baby girl ... let me ..."

"You stay away from her." I quickly said, stepping away from the sofa.