Chapter 50

"We need to leave, now." I told her.

"I have to speak to him." she said.

Suddenly Sam walked in and he just said Emily's name. The way his emotions saturated his tone made me angry, the way that he looked at her ... all I can see is the pain in Leah's eyes, I can hear the pain in her voice and I'm absolutely livid. She doesn't deserve this and much less by her own cousin. He looked over at me and his eyes widened when he noticed my expression, I don't know what he saw but I stepped back when he stepped over to us. Bella spoke to Jacob quietly, well as quietly as she's capable of but I heard it so I'm guessing everyone else here did as well.

"Hey guys, Jacob has information for us." Sam said.

"I know what the redhead wants. That's what I was trying to tell you before." Jake said, kicking the leg of the chair the kid he was fighting was sitting in.

"And?" Jared asked.

"She is trying to avenge her mate, only it wasn't the black-haired leech we killed. The Cullens got her mate last year, and she's after Bella now." Jacob said.

"She's just a girl." Embry said as Jared and Emily just stared.

"What about the other one?" Emily asked.

"I shouldn't even be here, I have nothing to do with this." I quickly stated. "Bella, let's go."

"Not yet, we do need to talk." Sam said and I stepped away again, pulling Bella back with me.

"I didn't say any of it made sense. But that's why the bloodsucker's been trying to get past us. She's been heading for Forks." Jacob said.

"Excellent, we've got bait." Jared said making me whip my head in his direction.

"Bella is not bait!" Jacob and I growled.

"You know what I mean." Jared said.

"So we'll be changing our patterns. We'll try leaving a few holes, and see if she falls for it. We'll have to split up, and I don't like that. But if she's really after Bella, she probably won't try to take advantage of our divided numbers." Sam said.

The conversation happening around me is giving me terrible anxiety. I really don't understand how this one girl, this one insignificant human, can have the supernatural world in such a damn chaotic mess.

"Jacob thinks it would be best if you spent as much time as possible here in La Push. She won't know where to find you so easily, just in case." Sam said, watching the two of us.

"What about Charlie?" both of us asked.

"March Madness is still going, I think Billy and Harry can manage to keep Charlie down here when he's not at work."

"Wait, that's what Jacob thinks is best, but you need to decide for yourself." Sam said and the way he looked back at his girlfriend, makes me think they don't agree. "You should weigh the risks of both options very seriously. You saw earlier how easily things can get dangerous here, how quickly they get out of hand. If you choose to stay with us, I can't make any guarantees about your safety." He said and I swear my anger is tenfold.

"I won't hurt her." Jacob mumbled.

His words and the way Sam looked at Emily have me thinking of stuff in my head, things that I don't like. There's guilt in Sam's eyes and pity in Emily's. What the hell happened here?

"If there was somewhere else you felt safe ..."

"I don't want to lead Victoria anywhere else." Bella replied.

"That's true. It's better to have her here, where we can end this." Sam said.

"Wait! What about Val? I go over to her house all of the time and Val, you have Ava. Is she in danger?" she asked, gripping my hand tightly again.

"Valentina, I wish you wouldn't have been here for any of this." Sam said.

"Yeah, so do I. Bella, I'm leaving with or without you." I told her.

"We can patrol around your house." Sam offered.

"She's a vampire girl, too." Embry said.

"What?" he asked, his eyes quickly moving to mine. "What is he talking about?"

"That is none of your business." I growled.

"Disrespect him in his own house!" the angry boy from before growled back.

"Paul! She didn't ask to be brought into this." Sam said, nodding to where Bella was holding onto me with both hands.

"Right ... Bella." He grumbled, walking out of the house.

"Can you spend some more time with Sue?" Sam asked, making Emily turn back in my direction.

"I've got a job and a daughter and I won't impose myself on anyone." I stated.

"More of your free time then, I can talk to Harry." he offered.

"Am I in danger?" I asked. "Is my daughter or my grandmother in danger?"

"I don't know, they might be."

"I'll consider spending more time with Sue and Leah." I said, seeing that guilt pop back into his eyes and Emily's as well.

"Valentina ..."

"Bella, are you leaving with me or not?" I asked.

"Bella?" Jake asked.

"I'm staying." she said softly.

"I really thought you were smarter than this." I repeated as I walked outside.

The cold wind cooled down my overheated body but did nothing to soothe my anger or my newfound stress. How the hell am I supposed to tell all of this to Emmett? He doesn't really call me when he's with his family not to get into any arguments with his brothers as has happened before. This is a lot to text so I'll just have to wait until he comes back. What the hell Bella?

"Valentina ..." I heard and I just walked faster to my car. "Valentina, please ..."

"What?" I demanded, turning to look at Sam.

"It's ... there's more to the story than Leah knows." he said.

"That's none of my business, is my family in danger or not?" I asked, feeling the fear rolling in.

"She hasn't gotten by us so far. We won't let her in." he said.

"I'm not going to impose on Sue or Harry. I won't do that. It's my turn to leave, don't worry, I won't say anything."

"Who are you dating?" he asked.

"I really don't see how that's any of your business."

"Who were you dating? All of them left."

"Who I am dating is none of your business. I'm leaving now."

"Bella will tell us." he said softly.

"That's on her if she does betray my confidence like that." I told him.

"I thought we were friends."

"We spoke a few times, but that doesn't make us friends Sam. I can't condone your actions, not that it's any of my business anyway. As I said, I should really be leaving, I won't mention any of what I saw. Please keep her safe."

"We'll keep all of you safe." he said.

"Goodbye."