Chapter 39

"How was the girl?" Grandma Morgan asked.

"She's so ... broken. You'd swear he died instead of broken up with her. She reminded me of me when Chris passed, no level of connection to the outside world." I smiled, making funny faces for my daughter in the highchair.

"You got here perfectly in time." Grandma said.

"Smells great!"

"You're doing a good thing with her." she said softly.

"I just hope I can help her. It really bothers me seeing her like that. I mean, they were only together for a few months and he sold her such amazing dreams of them being together. Granted, it was her first relationship, but by the way she's reacting to this, you'd think they were together for years and he died. This really bothers me." I said, feeling myself get angry.

He knew what he was doing when he walked away from her. The bastard left her alone in the forest! A place he knows that's dangerous. How could he really think that she would just get over him? How could he do this to her? I have every intention of helping her get out of this rut but not over him. She said he's her soulmate and that he knew this. There's probably no way for me to help her get over him but I can help her move on and realize her worth. That I will do.

"Not everyone has a good start in the love game and this poor girl landed on the losing end of it. It's good that she's got you to support her." grandma said.

"I have plans for Bella Swan, grandma, she's not gonna know what hit her."

Six weeks passed in quick procession where Bella and I visited each other many times, either at my house or hers. Charlie was very excited to see her leave the house and actually look like a living human being. She's even spent the night and her nightmares are slowly going away, not completely, but I've noticed that when she stays here, they don't really come.

"Have you heard from Emmett?" she asked as we ate dinner.

"Yeah, he called yesterday." I told her, not the least bit worried about it.

"How is he?"

"He misses Forks and Ava." I smiled.

"You mean he misses you." she chuckled but there was pain behind it.

"I actually think he misses Ava more than he misses me."

"Did he mention ... anyone else?"

"Bella ..."

"I know, I have to start ..."

"No, it's okay if you ask. I don't want you to get your hopes up though. Edward doesn't call or contact Emmett in any way because he's still angry at Emmett for staying in contact with me. I imagine Jared is still angry too." I said.

"Jared? He seems so ... chill." she asked, eating more, which secretly made me very happy.

"Jared wanted Emmett to leave too. I don't quite understand Jared's motives but I'm guessing he's anti-human too. After your ... ordeal, he told me he wanted me to leave. He's not too fond of us, I guess." I sighed.

"You miss them?" she asked.

"I do, hell, I even miss Rosalie and she wasn't all that fond of me, more of Ava. It wasn't meant to be."

"Do you think that Emmett will come back?"

"I'm hoping he does soon. He didn't agree with the family about leaving, he stood for a few days after they left but he misses his family too. Alice and Esme, they've called a few times to see Ava."

"Why don't they call me?" she asked, tears filling her eyes.

"He convinced them not to." I stated.

"Can I ask you something?"