Chapter 49

"If you could just find a way not to hurt people ... that's all that upsets me. These are innocent people, Jake, people like Charlie, and I can't just look the other way while you ..."

"Is that all? Really? You're just scared because I'm a murderer? That's the only reason?" he asked with a smile

I'm starting to realize that teenagers these days are all unstable sociopaths. That's the world that I'm living in. I'm going to homeschool Ava and she's not allowed out of the house, ever again.

"Isn't that reason enough?" Bella asked and this child started laughing. "Jacob Black, this is so not funny!"

"Sure, sure." he agreed, still chuckling.

"I'm surrounded by mini-psychopaths." I muttered.

He quickly walked over and pulled her into a really vice-like hug and I was too shocked to react to it. This is all happening too quickly for me to grasp.

"You really, honestly don't mind that I morph into a giant dog?" he asked.

"Jake ... can't breathe." she said.

"Let go now." I growled, yanking her from his arms.

"I'm not a killer, Bella." he said.

"As if you would admit it if you were." I growled.

"Why are you still here?" he asked me.

"Hey, watch how you talk to her." Bella quickly said.

"I'm here to make sure that she makes it alive back to her father." I stated.

"I'm not a killer." he insisted.

"Really?" she asked.

"Really." He said.

"Bella, please tell me that you're smarter than this."

"I believe him." she said and I lost all hope for her with those three words.

I sat there and let them speak to each other until they started talking about the vampires again and that drew my attention. I didn't interfere until he grabbed her.

"She came with me, where the hell do you think you're taking her?" I asked.

"Jake, where did you want to go?" Bella asked him.

"I'm not sure yet, I'll call a meeting. Can you wait by her car?" he asked.

"Where are you going?" Bella asked him.

"I'll be right back."

He ran through the parking lot a lot faster than a kid his age should be able to and I'd have to attribute that to his newfound supernatural abilities. Bella and I got into my car and I really don't know what to say to her.

"Valentina ..."

"You know, I thought you were smarter than this." I said and those words rendered her silent.,

"I didn't want to believe he was a bad person and he still isn't. I believe that." she said a couple of minutes later.

"Why didn't you tell me about the vampire before? Emmett could have done something."

"I didn't want to mention it to you, I didn't want to get you involved." she said.

"Why? He could've protected you." I argued.

"You have a daughter, a family, to worry about and with Emmett around, you two would always be protected. That's why I didn't say anything." she whispered.

"Damn it, Bella! You are part of my family, if something would've happened to you that would've impacted us as well. You're the most frustrating teenager I've ever met."