Chapter 90) Grenade

"Daylights burning. Let's go." Aiden calls out to the group.

Deanna smiles gently at Y/N. "I know I said it before, but... thank you."

Y/N gives her a small smile. "We'll be back soon."

With that, her and Glenn get in the van with all the others.

Aiden drives the van. Nicholas is in the passenger seat. Y/N sits in the very back next to Glenn, Tara and Noah. Eugene sits off to the side quietly.

He didn't want to go on this run but they need him to find the right supplies to fix the power grid.

After some time of driving, the group arrives at the building.

Everyone gets out and starts loading their weapons.

"That's the place?" Tara asks.

Aiden nods. "That's the warehouse."

Y/N points at a door. "Looks like that is the fastest way in and out. We should know all the exits first. In case things go south."

Nicholas flashes her a cocky smile. "Already got one. It's called going out the front."

She rolls her eyes.

"Noah, heads up." Tara says.

A walker is slowly making its way towards the group. Noah holds up his gun, with the attached silencer. "Got it." He shoots it once, taking it down.

Aiden glances at the others. "Y/N's right. We should do a perimeter check. Know our exits just in case."

The group splits off into sections. Nicholas and Aiden go one way, Tara and Eugene go one way and Glenn and Y/N go with Noah one way.

Y/N looks over at Noah. "Good aim back there."

He shrugs. "Target practice helped." He laughs a little. "Actually a few weeks ago I was tempted to practice on Aiden."

Y/N smiles and Glenn laughs. "Me too, man."

Suddenly their giggles are interrupted by snarling. The three raise their weapons and turn the corner to find dozens of walkers, fenced in.

"We're not getting out the front." Glenn says.
————————————————————————
The seven members move slowly into the darkened warehouse.

Y/N grips onto her sword tightly. Large shelves surround them, boxes are stacked everywhere.

There's clanging in the distance. They get closer to the noise. Snarling gets louder. Behind a chain fence are more walkers. Lots more.

The gate is shut, thankfully.

After a few minutes of searching, Eugene and Tara find the missing part.

Suddenly there's a muffled shout. A walker wearing military armor starts walking towards Aiden. He fires several silenced shots at it.

Suddenly Noah yanks Y/N back as Glenn shouts. "Aiden, stop!"

It's too late. An explosion rings out, knocking everyone to the ground.
————————————————————————
Y/N sits up, rubbing her head, her ears ringing. She winces, looking down and noticing a gash on her upper thigh, from falling into one of the shelves.

It's not that deep but it's bleeding. Noah sits up glancing around. He sighs in relief when he sees her. "Are you okay?"

She nods, regretting that decision because of the pounding in her head. He notices the cut and immediately takes off his flannel, wrapping it tightly around her leg.

With his help, she stands up. Glenn turns the corner, pulling both into a brief hug. "The cage is open. They're getting out." He says.

"We need to find-" Y/N gets cut off by a shout from Eugene.

"We're here!"

The three rush over to find Eugene, pale-faced. He glances down and they follow his gaze. Tara is laying on the concrete floor, with an obvious head injury.

"Oh god. Is she breathing?" Y/N asks.

Eugene doesn't answer. A walker starts walking down the aisle he's in and he starts to panic. Glenn rushes to it, killing it.

Glenn points at Noah. "Get them to the office. I'll get Tara. Go!"

Noah links one arm around Y/N and helps her toward the small office room. Eugene runs behind.

A few short minutes later, Nicholas and Glenn are inside the office too. Tara is laying on a table, blood still coming out from her head.

"The med kit was in Aiden's pack. It got blown to hell." Nicholas says.

"There's another one in the van." Y/N says.

Suddenly a shout is heard from over the snarling coming from outside the room. "Help! Please!"

It's Aiden. He's still alive. When he shot the armed walker, he struck a grenade that was on the utility belt. The strength of the blast knocked him into a piece of metal, impaling him.

"What do we do?" Nicholas asks.

"We have to save him." Noah says.

"It'll take a few of us." Y/N says.

"Go. Save him. Tara would. I know she would. I'll stay with her. I'll keep her safe, I assure you." Eugene says.

Glenn nods. "Okay. We'll knock them back. You still have that flare?"

Nicholas nods. "Fire it over the shelves." Glenn says.

He forces open the door, allowing space for Nicholas to launch the flare. The four of them rush to a wounded Aiden.

Y/N and Noah stand watch as Glenn and Nicholas try pulling Aiden off the spike. He shouts in agony.

"The flare is running out." Y/N says.

Nicholas starts to panic. Noah and Y/N shoot incoming walkers. The cowardly man leans close to Aiden. "You left them. We both did. That's what we do. I'm sorry."

He runs away from the walkers. Noah glances back. "They're coming."

Aiden groans and speaks quickly. "It was us. The others didn't panic. We did. It was us."

Glenn tries yanking him off one more time but Aiden shakes his head. "No."

Noah grabs Glenn's arm and pulls him and Y/N away as the walkers close in on Aiden. His screams echo throughout the building as they rip him apart.

The remaining four rush towards the front entrance. It's the only exit not blocked from the inside. Walkers start closing in again.

Everyone rushes into a revolving door. Nicholas and Glenn are on one side, Y/N and Noah on the other.

Walkers surround them from inside the building and out. The four push against the clear glass, trying to hold the walkers on either side.

Y/N covers her mouth with her hand.

They're trapped.
————————————————————————