Chapter 44) Scars

Y/N and Glenn leave the guard tower and meet with their group in the cell. They're discussing the prisoners.

Rick is talking to T-Dog. "Are you serious? You want them living in a cell next to you? They'll just be waiting for a chance to grab our weapons, you want to go back to sleeping with one eye open?"

"I never stopped. Bring them into the fold. If we send them off packing, we might as well execute them ourselves."

Glenn shrugs. "I don't know. Axel seems a little unstable."

Carol shakes her head. "After all we've been through? We fought so hard for all this, what if they decide to take it?"

Maggie rubs her arm. "It's just been us for so long... They're strangers. I don't... it feels weird all of a sudden to have these other people around."

T-Dog faces her. "You let us in."

She nods. "Yeah, but you turned up with a shot boy in your arms, didn't give us a choice."

"They can't even kill walkers." Y/N says.

Carol nods at that. "They're convicts, bottom line!"

T-Dog crosses his arms. "Those two might actually have less blood on their hands than we do."

Daryl shrugs. "I get guys like this. Hell, I grew up with them. They're degenerates, but they ain't psychos. I could have been with them just as easy as I'm out here with you guys."

"So you're with me?"

"Hell no! Let 'em take their chances out on the road, just like we did!"

Rick nods. "We've been through too much. Our deal with them stands."
————————————————————————
Later, Y/N is out near the fence with Rick, Glenn, Daryl, T-Dog, Archer, Carol and Maggie. They moved some cars for better coverage and for easy access.

Y/N looks up to the concrete courtyard to see Hershel standing, with two crutches. Lori, Carl and Beth stand with him.

She smiles. "Guys, look." Everyone pauses and looks up. They laugh and cheer. It's a nice moment. Hershel is up and moving.

The moment is suddenly ruined when Y/N spots a walker behind Carl. She gasps and Rick notices too. Out of nowhere the whole courtyard is full of walkers.

Carl sees their scared faces and turns around. "Walkers! Look out!"

Y/N and the others start running to the courtyard as fast as they can. They pull out guns and try shooting some from afar. They make their way inside and Glenn and Archer shut the fence.

Hershel is climbing up a staircase with Beth and Maggie. T-Dog runs over to shut an open fence where walkers are inside. Carol is with him. He's shutting the gate when suddenly a walker comes up behind him and bites his shoulder. Carol screams.

Y/N feels tears form in her eyes. He turns around when he finishes closing the gate and they make eye contact. She sadly smiles through her tears. He gives her a thumbs up.

Daryl and Rick are running to shut another fence. The prisoners are with them. Archer follows after Maggie.

Y/N runs up to Lori who just shot a walker down. "C'mon! This way." She leads Lori through a door to the inside of the prison, sparing one last look at Glenn, who follows Rick. He nods at her. Carl follows her inside.

She leads them to their cell block but immediately backtracks when another cluster comes out from their cells. "Back back!"

She grabs Lori's hand and leads her back into the corridors. Carl holds his gun in hand.