Chapter 80) Loss

"It was secure. It has a wall, homes, 20 people. Beth wanted to go with him. She wanted to get him there. It's a long trip, but if it works out, it's the last long trip we have to make."

Rick leans against a van. He speaks to some of the others.

Noah told them about how Beth helped him escape. How he was going to go back to his home. His family.

Y/N thinks about the child growing inside her. She nods. "We should try. It could be worth it."

It's been days since Beth was shot in the head by Dawn, the police officer who was running Grady Memorial.

Maggie isn't doing well. Sasha is still dealing with losing Bob. Abe is still coping with losing the idea of saving the world.

Everyone's spirits are low. Daryl has hardly said a word. Y/N wrapped him in a big hug after they left the hospital. She could hear him sniffle against her back.

They pile into vans. They make the drive. It's long. People are tired. People are hungry.

Y/N hasn't told anyone else about her pregnancy yet. It's too much, too soon.

They make it to South Carolina. They keep going. More driving.

Tyreese drives one of the vans. Noah is in the passenger seat. Rick and Michonne sit in the middle row. Glenn and Y/N sit in the back.

Rick looks at Noah. "How far out?"

"Five miles."

He nods, holding down the button on the walkie. "Hey, Carol."

"I'm here." She says after a moment.

"We're halfway there. Just wanted to check the range."

"Everyone's holding tight. We've made it 500 miles. Maybe this can be the easy part."

He holds down the button again. "Got to think we're due. Give us 20 minutes to check in."

"We don't hear from you, we'll come looking."

"Copy that."

Y/N sighs. The group is splitting up for a moment. Noah is leading Rick and the small group in the van to his community.

Both Rosita and Glenn told her not to go with. She didn't care. She's doing this. She needs this. A place. For her. For Glenn. For the baby. Everyone.

She glances at the young boy in the passenger seat. She doesn't know if they can fully trust him. After Terminus. After the Governor.

They've had too many cases of trusting the wrong people.

Too many cases of thinking they might be safe. The camp in Atlanta. The Farm. The Prison.

Noah seems better than them though. If Beth trusted him, she feels she can too.

Now she stares out the window as Tyreese talks quietly about his childhood. About the trade for Beth.

Noah mentions his mom. He says he has twin brothers. His dad died in Atlanta.

The miles are counting down. Rick tells Tyreese to pull into the woods. They are going to go the rest of the way on foot.

The car stops in some trees. Glenn climbs out the back door, holding his hand out for Y/N who takes it.

Noah leads them to his place. They pass by some barbed wire wrapped around trees.

Just in the distance they can see a large wall. There's a brick sign outside that says: Shirewilt Estates.

Rick nudges Noah. "They have spotters? Snipers?"

He shakes his head. "We built a perch on a truck. Sometimes it's out front."

Y/N glances around. She looks back at him. "Not today." She pulls out her sword as they inch closer.

They pass things on the road. A grandfather clock. A dead possum.

Noah makes it to the gate and bangs against it.

No noise.

Glenn climbs up the side and peeks over the edge, into the gated area. He shuts his eyes for a moment, before looking down at the others. He shakes his head.

Y/N bites her lip. She knew this was the likely scenario. She knew it was a pipe dream. Yet, time and time again, her expectations are too high.

Noah's face drops. He climbs up the other side and jumps over. The rest follow.

He speeds up down the street taking in everything.

A nearby building is burnt out. Decaying bodies lay in the grass. Trash litters the neighborhood.

Y/N has to look away as Noah sobs. He drops to the concrete in a ball.

She walks up to him and sits next to him, wrapping him in a tight hug. "I'm so sorry. You're gonna be with us now. You're gonna be with us now."

He shakes in her arms. His cries are loud. Rick sighs. "We should see if there's anything we can use and head back."

Michonne looks at him. "Then what?"

Some walkers start to appear in the area. Glenn turns to the others. "We can make a quick sweep."

Y/N doesn't let go of the boy. "I'll stay with him."

Tyreese nods. "Me too."

Rick speaks into the walkie, letting the others know the situation, before he, Glenn, and Michonne go off in search of supplies.

After a while, Y/N speaks quietly. "I've lost a lot too. My parents. My brother. My best friend. I almost died because I started taking painkillers. I thought it would help, but instead it just made everything a whole lot worse. I almost overdosed." She pauses as she remembers the events from just weeks prior.

"I almost killed myself because I couldn't handle the pain. But I had Judith. I saved her, protected her, and brought her back to Rick. She needed me. I couldn't have done that if I had given up." She finally lets him out of the hug and he leans his head against her shoulder.

She wipes a tear from his cheek. "This isn't the end, Noah. It doesn't end here."

He nods, standing after a moment. She stands up too. He starts to walk down the street. She glances at Tyreese. "Noah-"

He picks up the pace and they quickly rush after him. He runs all the way to a house. It's his own.

She catches up to him and grabs his hand. "You don't wanna go in there."

"Yes, I do. Let me see it."

Y/N sighs. "Me and Tyreese first."

She glances at the large man who nods, grabbing a knife from belt. She grips her sword, heading for the door.

It's open. Shattered glass sits on the floor. Blood splatters cover it. She pounds on the side of the wall. No noise.

She enters, walking directly into the living room where a zombified female body lays on the floor, dead.

It must be Noah's mother. He walks up to her, bending down. He takes a blanket and covers her body. Tyreese walks down a hallway.

Y/N stays with Noah. He whispers things to the body.

She thinks about her parents. Her mother, who held a gun to her, then was shot by Y/N's father, just to protect her.

Her father, who was held and tortured in the same dungeon she was assaulted in. The same dungeon that Archer died in.

Suddenly Y/N snaps out of her flashbacks when a scream rings out through the house. It's Tyreese. Her and Noah quickly run into the back room where a small walker child stands.

Noah grabs a toy airplane and stabs it into the boys skull, the body falling to the ground. He drops the toy as he realizes that it's one of his younger brothers.

Y/N looks to the other side of the room where Tyreese sits on the floor. She gasps as she notices the mark on his arm.

He's been bit.
————————————————————————