Chapter 16) Leaving

"I say we put a pickaxe in his head and the dead girls and be done with it." Daryl says pointing over towards Jim.

Y/N scoffs. "Is that what you'd want if it were you?"

He looks at her. "Yeah, and I'd thank you while you did it."

Dale steps in. "I hate to say it... I never thought I would... but maybe Daryl's right."

"Jim's not a monster, Dale, or some rabid dog." Rick says.

"I'm not suggesting..."

Rick cuts him off. "He's sick. A sick man. We start down that road, where do we draw the line?"

Daryl speaks again. "The line's pretty clear. Zero tolerance for walkers, or them to be."

Rick ponders. "What if we can get him help? I heard the C.D.C. was working on a cure."

Shane scratches his head. "I heard that too. Heard a lot of things before the world went to hell."

"What if the C.D.C. is still up and running?" Archer asks.

Shane takes a breath. "Man, that is a stretch right there."

Rick jumps in. "Why? If there's any government left, any structure at all, they'd protect the C.D.C. at all costs, wouldn't they? I think it's our best shot. Shelter, protection..."

"Okay, Rick, you want those things, all right? I do too, okay? Now if they exist, they're at the army base. Fort Benning."

Lori shakes her head in disbelief. "That's 100 miles in the opposite direction."

Shane nods. "That is right. But it's away from the hot zone. Now listen to me. If that place is operational, it'll be heavily armed. We'd be safe there."

"The military were on the front lines of this thing. They got overrun. We've all seen that. The C.D.C. is our best choice and Jim's only chance." Rick says.

"You go looking for aspirin, do what you need to do. Someone needs to have some balls to take care of this damn problem!" Daryl says headed towards Jim with the pickaxe.

"Daryl!" Y/N shouts.

Rick pulls out his gun and aims it at the back of Daryl's head. "We don't kill the living."

"That's funny coming from a man who just put a gun to my head."

Daryl sets the weapon down. Just then, Amy starts to stir. She's turned. Andrea can be seen talking to her for a moment. Everyone grabs their guns in case Andrea can't do it.

She shoots Amy in the head and Y/N has to turn away.
————————————————————————
Later, Rick, Shane, and Y/N are up on the hill digging some graves for the people lost.

There is some serious tension. After a few silent moments, Y/N looks up at Shane.

"Say it."

"What?"

"You obviously have something to say, so say it."

He sighs. "Okay... I'm thinking if y'all had stayed here, if you'd have looked after your own... Instead you went off. Y'all took half our manpower with you. I'm thinking maybe our losses wouldn't have been so bad."

"If we hadn't gone off and brought those guns back when we did, I think our losses would have been a lot worse. Maybe the entire camp." Rick says.

Daryl drives a truck up the hill and parks it, getting out. "I still think it's a mistake not burning these bodies. It's what we said we'd do, right? Burn 'em all, wasn't that the idea?"

Shane drops his shovel to go help. "At first."

"The Chinaman gets all emotional, says it's not the thing to do, we just follow him along? These people need to know who the hell's in charge here, what the rules are."

Y/N glares at Daryl as Lori gets out of the truck.

"There are no rules." Says Rick.

"Well, that's a problem. We haven't had one minute to hold onto anything of our old selves. We need time to mourn and we need to bury our dead. It's what people do." Lori responds.
————————————————————————
Later they hold a funeral for the people lost. The group lost Amy, Ed, and a few others. Soon they'll lose Jim too.
————————————————————————
Shane addresses the group. "I've been, uh... I've been thinking about Rick's plan. Now look, there are no... There are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that. I've known this man a long time. I trust his instincts. I say the most important thing here is we need to stay together. So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning."
————————————————————————
That night, Y/N is in her tent packing up her belongings when she hears the zipper opening. "Hey." It's Archer.

"Hey." She says not looking up.

"Can we talk?"

She closes her bag. "We're talking now."

He sighs. "You know what I mean."

She huffs and sets her bag down on her cot. "What?" She says looking at him.

"What if we stayed?"

She stares at him. "What?"

"What if we stayed? You and Me. We could make it work here." He says scratching his arm as he talks.

She thinks he's joking. "You can't be serious. Stay here? Leave all our friends behind? This camp isn't safe anymore Arch. We literally got attacked yesterday."

"If we leave, we probably won't ever find your family."

She pauses and looks at the ground. "I know."

He looks at her. "You're willing to risk that? For what? Glenn?"

She scoffs. "Excuse me? What does Glenn have to do with any of this?"

"Well it's obvious that you like him. You're seriously gonna leave your family behind for this guy you've known for a couple weeks?"

She steps closer to him. "I've only known YOU for a couple of weeks. My family has been gone since day one. I want to find them, I do. But if the group is leaving, so am I. Live with it."

He rolls his eyes and leaves her tent, leaving her there with tears rolling down her cheeks. "Damn it!" She curses.
————————————————————————