Chapter 51) Silence

Y/N wakes up dazed, inside a car on the side of a road. The sun is up now. There's a black woman with dreadlocks, cradling her head in her lap.

She quickly jumps up and hits her head against the window. The woman tries to help her but Y/N grabs the woman's wrist. "Who the hell are you?"

"Michonne." She says softly.

"Where are my people? Where's Rick? Glenn? Where are they?!"

Michonne gently grabs Y/N's hand. "They'll be here soon. Don't worry."

Y/N nods, letting Michonnes wrist go. She holds her own head with her free hand. It's pounding.

"Headache?"

Y/N nods again. Suddenly she spots movement in the woods.

Rick, Glenn, Maggie, and Daryl pile out of the trees. Trailing behind them is Merle.

Y/N opens the car door and almost trips as she makes her way to Glenn.

He wraps her in a hug. He turns around and spots Merle and his nostrils flare. He steps in front of Y/N and looks at Daryl. "What the hell is he doing here?"

Glenn holds up an automatic gun and Daryl slaps it away. "Hey, hey, hey!"

"He tried to kill me!"

Daryl groans. "He helped me get out."

Glenn scoffs. "Yeah right after he beat the sh*t out of you."

Daryl grinds his teeth but says nothing. Merle coughs out a laugh.

"Damn, you look like you've gone native, brother."

Daryl faces him. "No more than you hanging out with that psycho back there."

Merle smiles. "Oh, yeah, man. He is a charmer, I got to tell you that. Been putting the wood to your girlfriend Andrea." He says pointing at Michonne. "Big time, baby."

Y/N's mouth drops open. "Andrea is alive?!"

The others are just as surprised.

Glenn looks at Merle. "Andreas in Woodbury?"

Michonne nods. "Right next to the governor."

Rick looks at her. "You know Andrea?" She doesn't reply so he pulls out his gun, pointing it at her. "Do you know Andrea?"

"Yep, she does. Her and blondie spent all winter cuddling up in the forest. Mm-mmm-mmm. Yeah. My Nubian queen here had two pet walkers. No arms, cut off the jaws, kept them in chains. Kind of ironic now that I think about it." Merle laughs.

Y/N feels lightheaded. Back at the highway, Y/N begged the others to go find her. She knew she was still alive. Now she's probably corrupt just like her brother. She thinks about Bellamy. How she put a bullet in his brain. She chose Glenn over her own brother.

Suddenly, Y/N hunches over and throws up onto the concrete. Glenn rushes to her and she straightens up, wiping her mouth. "I'm fine." She whispers.

Glenn brushes a piece of hair out of her face. "No, you're not."

She bites her lip but says nothing as the others eye her curiously. They slowly put down their weapons. Merle stands silently. He knows what the governor did to her.

Rick sighs. "Look, the Governor is probably on the way to the prison right now. Merle knows how he thinks and we could use the muscle."

Glenn shakes his head. "I'm not having him at the prison." He turns to Daryl. "Do you really want him sleeping in the same cell block as Carol or Beth?"

Daryl scoffs. "He ain't a rapist."

"Well his buddy is." Glenn counters.

Y/N looks at the ground and Maggie inhales sharply. Rick and Daryl exchange glances. Michonne shakes her head sadly to herself.

Daryl finally speaks. "They ain't buddies no more. Not after last night."

Glenn clenches his jaw. "There's no way Merle's gonna live there without putting everyone at each other's throats."

Daryl grinds his teeth. "So you're gonna cut Merle loose and bring the last samurai home with us?"

Rick shakes his head. "She's not coming back."

Y/N looks up at that. "Why the hell not?"

He looks at her a little softer. "She's too unpredictable."

Y/N scoffs.

Daryl nods. "That's right. We don't know who she is. But Merle, Merle's blood."

Glenn looks at him. "No, Merle is your blood. My blood, my family is standing right here and waiting for us back at the prison. And you're part of that family. But he's not. He's not."

Daryl waves his hand dismissively. "Man, y'all don't know. Fine... we'll fend for ourselves."

Y/N takes a step towards him. "Don't you dare leave."

"No him, no me. It was always Merle and I before this."

She grabs his wrist. "Daryl! Don't do this."

He removes himself from her grasp. "Don't ask me to leave him. I already did that once."

Rick puts his hand on Daryl's shoulder. "We started something last night. You realize that right?"

Daryl purses his lips. "No him, no me."

Nobody says anything. Y/N feels tears fill her eyes again.

"Daryl, please. Please don't leave. We've lost too much. Daryl." Her voice cracks and he looks at the ground avoiding her gaze. "Take care of yourself."

With that, he motions for Merle and the two walk into the woods, away from the group.
————————————————————————
The drive back to the prison is tense. Rick is driving, Maggie is in the passenger seat. Y/N sits in the back, in the middle seat between Michonne and Glenn.

Y/N bites her fingernails. "You didn't kill him." She whispers.

"He wasn't the priority." Rick says softly.

She scoffs. "I should've been there."

Rick shakes his head. "You were in no condition."

"But my boyfriend was?"

Glenn injured his leg when Merle threw the walker at him and has a slight limp at the moment.

Rick sighs. "You were passed out, Y/N."

There's silence for a moment.

Glenn bites his lip. "Do you know what he did to her?" He says quietly at first. Nobody replies and Glenn raises his voice. "Do you?!"

"Leave it alone." Y/N says.

Glenn just sighs. "After all that effort, all the risk we took, Daryl just takes off with Merle?"

Rick rubs his forehead with the hand not holding the wheel. "Well, he had his reasons."

"Yeah keep telling yourself that. Doesn't change the fact that we're up to our necks in sh*t."

Rick hits the wheel, making Y/N jump slightly.

"You want me to turn the car around, beg him to come back? Throw down a welcome mat for Merle? This is the hand we've been dealt!"

Maggie speaks up for the first time since she found out Archer was dead. "It shouldn't have to be."

With that, the rest of the ride is silent.
————————————————————————