Chapter 9) Escape

Y/N puts her hand on Glenn's shoulder. "You can do this."

He smiles at her and hands her the walkie as Rick pulls up near a red sports car.

He gets out and smashes the window causing an obnoxious alarm to start ringing. He gets in the driver seat and hot wires the car.

Y/N and Rick start getting back in the truck when Glenn stops her. "Y/N wait."

Y/N turns back to him and he pulls her in for a hug. She smiles against his shoulder. "Don't die please." She tells him.

"Yeah..." He says pulling away. "You too."

Rick and Y/N get in the car and head towards the store. She grabs the walkie and holds down the button. "Hey. It's me. Those roll-up doors at the front of the store facing the street... Meet us there and be ready."
————————————————————————
The group gathers their things and starts heading downstairs.

Merle starts tugging at the pipe he's attached to. "Hey, you can't leave me here! I'm not fooling, man! Morales! Hey, man! Don't do this!"

Morales looks at him but Andrea calls his name and he leaves.

"Morales! You can't leave me like this, man! Hey, T-Dog. No, man. You can't leave me, man. You can't leave me here... Not like this. You can't, man. It's not human. Come on, don't do this."

T-Dog groans and decides to free him but as he's rushing over to unhook him, he trips and drops the key. It almost felt like slow motion as the key fell down the drain.

"Son of a b*tch! You did that on purpose!" Merle screams.

T-Dog freaks out. "No! I didn't mean to! It was an accident!" He gets up and starts heading for the door, still facing Merle.

"Don't leave me, man! Don't leave me! Don't leave me! You liar!"

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry man."

"Damn you all! Don't leave me, man! Don't leave... don't leave me!" Merle tried ripping away from the pipe to no avail.

T-Dog stops outside the door to wrap a chain around the door, hoping to keep the rotters away from him.

"Hey! What are you doing, man? You're gonna rot in hell! You're gonna rot in hell! Come back, man!"
————————————————————————
The group waits by the rolling doors for the signal from Rick and Y/N. T-Dog rushes up at the last minute and they can hear the distant breaking of glass. The second set of doors have been breached.

Outside the door, Rick hops out of the truck and bangs on the door. The group rolls it up and start climbing in while shouting various things. Once everyone is inside, they drive off quickly and close the back of the truck.

Inside the truck, Y/N looks around and notices the absence of Merle. She looks over at T who lowers his head.

"I dropped the damn key."

The group falls silent as they realize that it's too late to get him now.

"Best not to dwell on it. Merle got left behind. Nobody's gonna be sad he didn't come back... Except maybe Daryl." Morales says.

Rick glances back at Morales. "Daryl?"

"His brother." Y/N responds.

For a few minutes, nobody speaks. Everyone is overwhelmed at the events that took place on what was supposed to be a 'quick run' to the city.

Y/N feels bad. She told Glenn not to worry about it. She thought it would be fine. Now here they are, several hours later. They almost died several times, found this sheriff guy and now Merle's stuck on a roof.