Chapter 25) Pray

Y/N walks outside to the porch and finds Glenn sitting in a rocking chair. "Hey."

He looks up. "Hey."

She sits on the railing, facing him.

He chews on his nail. "What are the odds?"

"Hmm?" Y/N hums in response.

"What are the odds that one kid goes missing and the other gets shot?" He puts his head in his hands.

Y/N sighs. "I don't know... it's like the universe is out to get us. We keep getting hit left and right. First Amy. Then Jim. Then Jacqui. Now this."

She hops off the railing and walks closer to his chair. She leans down and hugs him. He sighs. "What are we gonna do?"

She coughs out a laugh and stands. "Pray?"

He smiles at that. "Let's pray then."

She sits down in the chair next to him. "I don't really know how this works."

He laughs. "Me neither."

She smiles. "Well I guess we'll learn together."
————————————————————————
Inside, Y/N walks into the kitchen to find Maggie sitting at the table, tears in her eyes.

"Hey... you okay?"

Maggie looks up and sniffles. "I've known Otis since I was a kid. He's run this farm since before my mother died." Y/N sighs and sits across from her.

"Who else?" Maggie wipes a tear and looks at her confused.

"Who else did you lose?" Y/N asks.

Maggie starts pointing at pictures on the fridge and listing off names.
————————————————————————
The next morning, Y/N hears Daryl's motorcycle outside. She calls out to her people. "They're here." Everyone goes outside to find Dales RV and Daryl on his bike.

Archer, Dale, Andrea and Carol all come out of the RV. "How is he?" Asks Dale.

Rick smiles. "He'll pull through, thanks to Hershel and his people."

Lori nods. "And Shane. We'd have lost Carl if not for him."

Carol sighs. "Thank god. We were so worried."

Daryl gets off his bike. "How'd it happen?"

Ricks smile fades. "Hunting accident. That's all this was... just a stupid little accident."
————————————————————————
After both groups pull together and host a funeral for the man who sacrificed himself for Carl, they all gather round to set up search zones for Sophia. They all collectively agree to start up the search again the next morning.

Hershel tells the group that he would rather guns not be carried on his farm. Everyone except Shane and Andrea willingly agree. It is his property after all.

Maggie says she's gonna make a run into town to get more supplies from the pharmacy. Rick tells her to have Glenn tag along since he's the go-to. Y/N decides to join the because she doesn't want to sit alone with her thoughts. Plus she's already forming a little bond with Maggie.

Maggie tells T-Dog that there's a well they can use for water, and then tells Y/N and Glenn that she'll get horses for them.

Lori walks up to Glenn. "Here your list."

He nods and turns to find Y/N. "And, um, there's one other item. I wrote it down separately. It's personal. If we could be real discreet about that, okay?"

Glenn looks down at the paper. "What is it?"

"Check the uh... feminine hygiene section."

Glenn's eyes widen. "Ohhhkay.... can i just ask. Why aren't you asking Y/N to get this for you?"

Lori rubs her head. "I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. It's better if you get it."

Glenn nods. "Yeah. Okay. Sure. Consider it done."
————————————————————————
Dale and T-Dog call everyone over to the well Maggie pointed out. Y/N looks down and sees a large walker casually floating like it's in a pool.

"How long do you think it's been down there?" Dale asks.

Andrea gags. "Long enough to grow gills."

"We can't leave it in there. God knows what it's doing to the water." Shane says.

"Easy. Put a bullet in its head." Archer says.

"No." Y/N says. People turn to her confused.

"Why not?" Archer says crossing his arms. "It's a good plan."

She rolls her eyes. "It's a stupid plan. If that thing hasn't contaminated the water yet, blowing its brains out will finish the job."

Shane nods in agreement. "She's right. Can't risk it."

"We need to get it out alive." T-Dog says scratching his head.

"How?" Andrea asks.
————————————————————————
"It's not working. He's not going for it." Y/N remarks.

They thought if they lowered a piece of meat into the well, they could distract the rotter long enough to get a rope around it.

Archer scoffs. "Maybe 'cause a canned ham don't kick and scream when you try to eat it."

Lori nods. "He's right. There's a reason the dead didn't come back to life and start raiding our cupboards."

Andrea sighs. "We need live bait." She turns to Glenn. So does everyone else. Y/N glances back at Maggie who shakes her head no.

Its too late. Glenn agrees and wraps a rope around his waist, getting slowly lowered into the well. "Have I mentioned that I really like your new haircut? You have a nice shaped head." He tells Shane.

"Don't worry bud. We are gonna get you out of there in one piece."

"Living. Living piece." Y/N says looking at Shane.

Maggie shakes her head in disbelief. "You people are insane."

"You want it out of your well or not?" Shane asks.

She shakes her head and looks at Y/N who sighs and shrugs her shoulders. Why is it always Glenn? He's always the bait. He's always the runner. One of these days he won't be around to be the bait or the runner.

Y/N zoned out for a moment and when she came back to reality, everyone was shouting. Shane lost his grip and the rope slipped down further. Glenn can be heard screaming "Get me out! Get me out!"

Y/N grabs onto the rope and pulls as hard as she can, practically falling into Archer.

He pulls himself up and everyone rushes to get him onto solid ground.

Dale sighs. "Well back to the drawing board."

Glenn scoffs. "Says you." He hands the rope to Dale which struggles in his hand. Glenn got the rope around the walker.

Glenn immediately walks over to Y/N who wraps him into a tight hug. "Don't ever agree to that again. Asshole." He laughs and let's her go. "Okay. I won't."

Archer rolls his eyes and walks off.
————————————————————————