Chapter 3) So long

After the horrendous scene that took place in front of them, Archer and Y/N make their way closer to the edge of the city.

They don't really have a location but they just need to get out of there.

More and more helicopters are above them headed towards the city and you can still hear the occasional distant scream.

After nearly an hour of walking, they've reached the edge of the city.

That's when they hear the first explosion.

It's so loud that it makes the ground shake. They turn back to face the city and see helicopters dropping bombs over the city. Tons of them.

Y/N puts a hand over her mouth in shock and has to look away.

Archer has tears in his eyes as he grabs Y/N's hand and leads her into the forest.

They walk in complete silence, listening to the still exploding city.

Y/N slows her pace as she thinks about her family. Her dad, who split up to search the store. Her mom, who she got separated from when the gunshots went off. Her brother, who was supposed to be following her as she was led out of the store.

They are still in the city. What if a bomb gets them? What if a rotter does? What if they don't make it? The thoughts swirl around her head as she thinks of all the possibilities.

"Y/N? Y/NNNNN? Y/N!!" Archer waves his hand around her face.

"Huh? Sorry. Lost in thought I guess." Y/N shakes her head, hoping for it all to go away.

"Look." He points towards a road filled with cars and people.

They glance at each other before picking up their pace. They arrive at the street and find hundreds of people gathered around. The cars aren't moving which isn't a good sign.

Y/N walks ahead hoping to see somebody from her family to no prevail. She sighs and sits down next to a red car. Archer takes a seat next to her.

"Oh my god. Y/N?" A familiar voice calls out.

Y/N looks up and sees an older blonde holding onto the arm of a younger blonde. Y/N gasps and stands up. "Amy? Andrea?"

Amy and Y/N both go to the same college. She became friends with Amy during her freshman year and they hung out a lot outside of their classes. She met Andrea from hanging around Amy and got to be quite close.

"Oh my god! What are you guys doing out here?" Y/N asks running up and hugging Amy and then Andrea.

"We were just about to ask you the same question!" Andrea exclaims with a smile.

"We were on a roadtrip together when this all started." Amy answers.

"Wow. That's a coincidence. Me too!" Y/N said, happy to know somebody in this mess of people.

"Where's Bell? Your family?" Amy asks noticing the unfamiliar Archer standing close by.

Y/N hesitates. "Honestly... I don't know. We were in a store together when we got separated." She motions back at Archer. "He saved my life."

Amy and Andrea both nod at Archer with a small smile to thank him for saving their friends life.

"I'm really glad you're both here. We should all stick together. You know, until this blows over." Y/N says, knowing it might not 'blow over'.

Andrea nods, pulling in Y/N for another hug.

"We met some people up the road. We were talking about setting up a camp further up in the mountain away from those things." She says, shivering at the last word.

Y/N nods and follows after her two friends, Archer close behind.
————————————————————————
Upon arriving at their new camp site, Y/N goes around learning everyone's names.

She meets a large bald man named T-Dog, an older man with an RV named Dale, two redneck brothers Daryl and Merle, a kind woman named Jacqui, a man named Jim, a man named Morales and his family, a woman named Carol, her husband Ed, their daughter Sophia, a sheriff named Shane, a woman named Lori and her son named Carl.

Then she met Glenn. She immediately was captivated by him. His smile is beautiful and he's a funny, optimistic guy. She can see them becoming very close.

Archer isn't much of a talker but he still did make his rounds learning his new camp mates. He didn't really like Glenn though. He could see in Y/N's eyes that she liked him already. He had to admit he was a little jealous.

Even though they just met yesterday, he has really taken a liking to her. He likes her body shape, her nose, her eyes, her hair, her personality. Really just everything about her.

That night, he sits around the fire next to Y/N as she makes light conversation with Amy. The way the fire makes her face glow is gorgeous.

"She'll be mine. Someday..." He thought.
————————————————————————