Chapter 24) Trouble

"Still worried about it?" Andrea asks Lori.

"It was a gunshot."

Archer nods. "We all heard it."

"Why just one gunshot?"

Carol shrugs. "Maybe they took down a walker."

"Don't patronize me." Lori snaps. "You know Rick wouldn't risk a gunshot to put down one walker, or Shane. They'd do it quietly."

Y/N nods slowly. "Shouldn't they have caught up to us by now?"

Everyone goes silent and continues walking. Carol and Andrea talk softly.

"We're all hoping and praying with you, for what it's worth." Andrea says.

"I'll tell ya what it's worth-- Not a damn thing. It's a waste of time, all this hopin' and prayin'." Daryl says turning to face them. "Cause we're gonna locate that little girl and she's gonna be just fine. Am I the only one zen around here? Good lord."
————————————————————————
A while passes and the sun is starting to go down.

"I think we should call it. Let's head back." Daryl says.

Carol bites her fingernails. "We'll pick it up tomorrow?"

Y/N nods her head. "We'll find her tomorrow."

The group walks for a bit, alongside the creek. Suddenly Andrea screams. They rush over and find a walker on top of Andrea trying to bite.

All of a sudden, galloping can be heard getting closer. Out of nowhere, a woman with short hair, riding a horse, hits the walker in the head with a bat.

"Lori? Lori Grimes?" She asks the traumatized Andrea.

Lori takes a step. "I'm Lori."

She pulls the horse to a stop. "You've got to come with me— Rick sent me.. there's been an accident. Carls been shot."

Y/N's eyes widen as she looks to Lori who's made up her mind. She starts climbing on the back of the horse.

"Whoa whoa whoa we don't know this girl!" Daryl says.

The mystery girl looks to Y/N. "Rick said you had others on the highway, that big traffic snarl?"

She nods.

"Backtrack to Fairburn road. Two miles down is our farm. You'll see the mailbox-- Name's Greene" With that, the woman on the horse takes off back where she came with Lori, leaving the others standing around dazed.
————————————————————————
"What do ya mean shot?" Dale asks when the others return and inform him and T-Dog.

"I don't know. Wasn't there." Archer says.

Daryl waves his hand around. "All I know is this chick rode out of nowhere like Zorro on a horse and took Lori."

"You let her?" Dale asks concerned.

"Rick sent her. Knew Lori's name and Carl's." Glenn replies.

They all scatter and finish getting supplies, loading it into the RV. They'd decided to go find the farm where the woman took Lori in the morning.

"I won't do it. We can't just leave." Carol shakes her head.

"Carol, the group is split." Archer replies.

"What if she comes back and we're not here?"

"You're right. Some should stay here. We can rig up a sign and leave some supplies." T-Dog says from the steps of the RV.

Everyone starts pitching in who's staying.

Glenn starts to speak but gets cut off by Dale. "Not you Glenn. You and Y/N go out and find the farm. Figure out what's going on. More importantly: take T-Dog. His cut has gone from bad to worse. He has a very serious blood infection. Get him there and see if they have any antibiotics. If not, T-Dog will die. No joke."

Daryl scoffs and walks to his motorcycle. "Why'd you wait til now to say something? Got my brothers stash." He pulls out a large ziploc bag of meds. "Got some kick ass painkillers. The good stuff. Merle got the clap on occasion."

Y/N and Glenn glance at each other and giggle.

Glenn, T-Dog, and Y/N say their goodbyes and get into a truck to drive to the farm.

Once they arrive, the walk up to the front steps. "So... do we ring the bell... or?" Glenn asks scratching that back of his neck.

"We're past this kinda stuff, aren't we? Having to be considerate." T-Dog replies, wrapped in a blanket and shivering.

A voice calls out from the porch. "Did you close the gate up the road when you drove in?"

Y/N looks up to see the woman from before. "Hi... yeah we closed it. Latch and all."

"We're here to help. Anything we can do?" Glenn asks.

She remains quiet and eyes T-Dogs wrapped arm.

"It's not a bite. I cut myself pretty bad though."

She nods. "We'll have it looked at. I'll tell them you're here."

"We have some painkillers and antibiotics. We already gave him some. If... if Carl needs any." Y/N says.

She smiles softly at that. "Come on inside. I'll make you something to eat."

Y/N glances back at T-Dog and Glenn. They both nod and she walks in first.

There are a few more people around. An older blonde woman, a young blonde teen girl and a tall male teen. There's also an older man with white hair.

Y/N taps her knuckles against the doorframe where she spots Carl laying in a bed. Lori and Rick sit near him solemnly. "Hey... We're here okay? Whatever you need."

Rick nods. Lori gives a sad smile. "Thank you."
————————————————————————
Later, Y/N and Glenn sit with T-Dog at a table in the house. The older blonde woman, who they learn is named Patricia wraps T-Dogs arm with fresh bandages.

The mystery woman on the horse is named Maggie. She also sits with them. The male teen is named Jimmy, and the blonde teen is named Beth. The older man is named Hershel.

Patricia speaks out loud. "You got here right in time. This couldn't have gone untreated much longer."

Maggie reads the prescription bottle. "Merle Dixon. This your friend with the antibiotics?"

"No... Merle is... no longer with us." Y/N says putting it lightly. "Daryl gave us those... his brother."

T-Dog laughs at that. "Not really sure i'd call him a friend."

Patricia responds. "He's your friend today. This doxycycline might have just saved your life."

She turns to them. "You know what Merle was taking them for?"

Y/N responds without thinking. "The clap."

Maggie stifles a laugh as Y/N realizes what she said. Glenn tries to reword it. "Um, venereal disease. That's what Daryl said."

Patricia half-smiles at that and looks at T. "I'd say merle Dixon's clap was the best thing to ever happen to you."

T-Dog winces. "Really trying not to think about that."
————————————————————————
A few minutes later Y/N hears commotion coming from the room where Carl lays. They'll have to do surgery and it'll have to be now. Shane and the man who shot carl; Otis, went for supplies.

They start to load Carl onto a table when headlights shine through the windows. They rush outside and see a truck pull up with Shane inside. He's alone.
————————————————————————