Chapter 77) Stench

The group sits around in the front room of the little book place. It's the next morning.

Tara waves her map. "We tapped out the toilet. Broad River is five miles west. At the very least, we stock up there before we find wheels."

Abe stands, making his way over to a window, lifting cardboard to show them something. "We got a vehicle. And it just so happens... it's got 500 gallons of water on it."

They all look out the gap and Y/N huffs, with a small smile. A fire truck sits across the street.

They make their way to the other building. Abe hops into the driver seat and after a few pushes, the engine starts.

He lets out a laugh. "About time things started going our way!"

He drives the truck away from the building, when suddenly the engine stops.

He jumps down from the seat, angrily.

"We'll find another ride." Glenn says.

"If there was another ride worth a sh*t in this town we'd have seen it. This thing's done some crowd clearing. Right up into the intake. Which means we've got an air filter filled with damn human remains. And there is no damned corner on this damned Earth that has not been dicked hard beyond all damned recognition."

He takes a plastic bag and tries picking things out of a grate on the side of the truck.

"Abraham?" Rosita says.

"What?"

"That feeds the radiator. The intake for the engine is actually on the roof."

He nods.

Suddenly a tire rolls out of a room, down the driveway of the station. The truck must've been pressed up against a door. Inside sits a stack of tires.

It gets knocked over and out pours walkers.

Everyone grabs their weapons. The walkers come from all angles.

They take their guns, smashing them onto the heads. Y/N uses her sword to slice them up, each thrust of her sword sending pain down her injured leg.

There's too many. Suddenly the water hose turns on, the high-pressure taking down the remaining walkers. Y/N looks up to see Eugene, on the roof of the fire truck, holding the hose.

Abe smirks. "I've been to eight county fairs and one goat rodeo. I never seen anything like that."
————————————————————————
The happiness of a new vehicle was short lived.

Not too long into the drive, the car had more issues. Now it sits in the middle of a road. Abraham is trying to fix it with Glenn.

Tara and Rosita hold their guns and keep watch. Eugene sits on the back of the truck, reading.

Y/N leans against the side of the truck. "I know why you have the haircut."

He doesn't look up from his book. "I told you it's cause I like it."

"I believe that. I think you like it for a reason. You're not the person people think you are. You want them to know who you are."

He sets the book down. "I'm not following."

"If you didn't have that mullet, you'd probably be like everybody else in the labs. But you're not like everybody else. I think a lot of people in your position probably would've given up, but you didn't."

He goes to say something when suddenly Glenn speaks from the front. "Woah, what the hell is that?"

"What?" Tara asks.