Chapter 30) One more

The walker that Hershel was holding, collapses to the ground. Shock is written all over his face. Up until this moment, he still thought that walkers were just sick people. Everything was a lie.

Shane continues his rant. "Enough risking our lives for a little girl who's gone! Enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us. Enough. Rick, it ain't like it was before! Now if y'all want to live, if you want to survive, you got to fight for it! I'm talking about fighting right here, right now."

Rick tries handing the pole to Hershel who refuses. "Take the snare pole. Hershel, take the snare pole. Hershel, listen to me, man, please. Take it now. Hershel! Take it!"

By now the rest of Hershel's family is surrounding him and Shane walks towards the barn, attempting to break the chains.

"Shane! Brother this is not the way to do this!" Rick shouts.

It's useless. The barn doors open.

"Everyone get ready!" Y/N yells.

She looks back at Maggie who has tears in her eyes. Maggie nods her head and that's all the clarification she needs. One by one, the group shoots walker after walker down.

Finally, after what feels like ages, it's over.

It's over... until... more shuffling can be heard inside.

There's one more.

Everyone raises their weapons in preparation but nothing could prepare them for what walks out of the barn. Who walks out of the barn.

Sophia.

Y/N gasps and lowers her gun. All this time. Sophia was inside the barn. They've been searching for nothing. She's been dead this whole time.

Carol recognizes her daughter, slowly walking out of the barn and screams. "No!! Sophia!" She runs forward but is held back by Daryl who gently pulls her to the dirt.

Y/N looks at Glenn. His face is full of shock. Y/N turns to Maggie. Did they know? No. They couldn't have. Right?

She turns back. Shane stands still. All that big talk and now he has no words. Nothing to say. Rick steps forward.

He raises his gun. He hesitates. He shoots.

Sophia is dead.
————————————————————————
After the initial shock wears off, Beth stands shakily. She runs towards a female walker who lays on the floor in front of the barn doors. "Mom!"

She reaches for her mothers face, when suddenly the walker moves, grabbing hold of Beth's hand.

Everyone jumps into action and pulls the sobbing Beth away from her dead mother, actually killing her for good this time.

Hershel stands and is led by Patricia back towards the house. Beth and Maggie follow closely behind.

Shane chases after Hershel. "We've been out. Weve been combing these woods looking for her and she was in there all along? You knew." He accuses.

Maggie pulls her dad away. "Leave us alone."

"Shane, just stop man." T-Dog says grabbing his arm.

"Get your hands off me!" Shane says ripping his arm away.

By now they are on the steps of the porch. "You knew and you kept it from us."

Hershel takes a shaky breath. "I didn't know."

Shane waves his arm. "Man, that's bullsh*t. I think y'all knew."

Hershel raises his voice. "We didn't know!"

Y/N looks at Maggie. "Why was she there?"

Hershel responds quietly. "Otis put those people in the barn. Maybe he found her and put her in there before he was killed."

"You expect me to believe that? Do I look like an idiot?"

"Shane! Christ just stop it." Y/N says.

Hershel shakes his head. "I don't care what you believe."

Rick holds his hand out. "Okay, let's just calm down."

Hershel turns to Rick. "Get him off my land!"

Rick takes a deep breath. Shane reaches forward, grabbing Hershel's arm. "Let me tell you something—"

Maggie slaps Shane in the face. Hard. "Don't touch him. Haven't you done enough?"

Hershel rubs his arm where Shane grabbed it. "I mean it... off my land."
————————————————————————
Y/N follows Maggie into the kitchen who runs her hand under water. "I have to ask you... did you know that Sophia was in the barn?"

Maggie scoffs, turning the water off. "Unbelievable." She mumbles.

"I wanted to make sure. I didn't think you did. Maybe it's for the best. In some horrible way. At least we know. We can... we can move on."

Maggie cocks her head. "Move on?"

Y/N nods. "Yeah, it's just like... it meant so much to everyone. You know? Finding her."

Maggie gently nods. "So you'll just... move on?"

"If we can. We've lost others, it's just... this is different. This is Sophia."

"So what happens now?"

Y/N sighs. "We bury her. Your stepmom and stepbrother too."

Maggie nods again. She walks up and gives Y/N a hug. She pulls away and sighs as Beth walks quietly into the kitchen. "So... if your people leave... will you and Glenn stay?"

Y/N's eyes widen. "I... well. I hadn't really thought about it. I don't think we could... I.. Maggie, I don't know. We've been with them since the start."

Maggie goes to say something when suddenly Beth collapses to the floor, dropping a plate.

"Oh my god!"
————————————————————————
Beth now lies in one of the beds inside the house. Her eyes are open but she isn't responsive. They believe she's in shock. Maggie searches the whole house and can't find Hershel. Shane looks for clues and finds an empty flash sitting on a dresser.

Maggie tells them that there's a bar in town called Hatlin's. It's where Hershel always went when he was an avid drinker.

"Betting that's where i'll find him." Rick says.

Y/N nods. "Yeah, I've seen it. I'll go with you."

Glenn shakes his head. "No, i'll go."

Y/N looks at him. "I don't care what you say, i'm going."

Glenn sighs and nods knowing he can't convince her.

Maggie walks up to them. "You can't."

Y/N shakes her head. "Mag, it's an easy run."

"Like the pharmacy?"

Glenn rubs his head. "That was different."

Maggie takes a deep breath. "You guys are my closest friends. Just... just be safe okay?"

Y/N nods. "We'll bring your dad back in no time. Take care of Beth."

With that, Rick, Glenn and Y/N grab guns and get into the truck, driving to town.
————————————————————————