Chapter 79) Hospital

Glenn, Rosita, and Y/N walk to the creek.

Rosita shakes her head. "I can't believe that bastard lied to us."

Y/N shrugs her shoulders. "Yeah, it really f*cking sucks. But what can we do? Truth is, Eugene is useless. He isn't fast. He can't kill walkers. He isn't strong. But he has one skill, that kept him living. His ability to lie. We can be mad all we want but that doesn't change the fact. He's still a person. A sh*tty one, but still a person."

They make it to the creek. Glenn tries dipping a water bottle in. He pulls it out and grimaces. The water is murky. Almost brown.

Y/N sighs. "You think it's any clearer upstream?"

"Probably not." Rosita cuts the cuff of her shirt, ripping it off. "Doesn't matter." She holds out her hand. "Let me see."

Glenn hands her the bottle.

Not even 5 minutes later, Rosita is holding the bottle upside down over the bucket. Water slowly drips from the hole in the cap into the metal container.

"You made a water filter in a matter of minutes?" Glenn asks.

Rosita nods. "Eugene taught me. Takes a while but it'll be clear. Then we can boil it."

Y/N and Glenn sit down next to her.

"Were you with Abraham? When it all happened?" Glenn asks.

"No. No, I was with other people just trying to make it."

"How'd you wind up together?" Y/N asks, digging a stick into the muddy shore of the creek.

"We crossed paths in Dallas. Me and my group, we were fighting off some dead ones and he jumped in from out of nowhere with that big truck. Rest in peace. He had Eugene in the cab. And afterwards, he told me that he was trying to save the world. And that he saw what I could do. And he wanted my help. He was the first person to ask me for that since this all started. Maybe he was lying, too."

Y/N shakes her head. "I don't think so."

Rosita offers her a gentle smile. Glenn looks out into the water. "You see that? Those ripples. Those are fish."

Y/N thinks back to when they were walking. They passed by three walkers under a log. They were wearing jackets with a mesh on top.

She hops up, pain shooting down her leg. All the stress and anxiety made her forget about her still healing wound. "Glenn, cmon."

They make their way back to the walkers, killing them and taking their jackets. The slice away the mesh, bringing it back to Rosita. Y/N also finds a muddy backpack in the process.

Now back on the shore, she searches through it.

Glenn and Rosita suddenly cheer. They caught a few fish in the man made net.

"You know how to clean these things?" He asks her.

She laughs. "I know how to clean these things."

"Good. we're gonna need that. Wherever we all wind up. You in?"

Rosita smiles, glancing at Y/N. "I'm in."
————————————————————————
The trio finally arrives back at the road where the truck is. Much to their surprise, Eugene is awake.

Tara is tending to him. Another surprise, Abraham drank water.

Glenn holds up the net. "Brought back fish."

"And water." Rosita adds.

Y/N holds up a small blue object, that she found in the backpack. "And a yo-yo." She hands it to Tara who giggles like a little girl. "You're welcome." She whispers with a smile.

While Rosita guts the fish, Tara remains on Eugene duty, now entertaining herself with the small toy.

Glenn builds a fire. Y/N walks over to Abraham and sits next to him. "When I held my gun to you, did you want me to shoot you?"

He sighs, looking at her. "I thought I did." He glances back at the others. "But I didn't."

She nods. "If it helps, I didn't want to shoot you."

He huffs out a laugh. She nudges his arm. "Cmon. Let's eat. We still have a long trip back."
————————————————————————
"What in the hell?" Abe grunts as he drives up toward the church. They've made it back.

Y/N looks out the front window and her eyes widen. Michonne, Gabriel, Carl and Judith all stand outside. The church doors are shut, walkers are inside, trying to claw their way out.

Spikes sit in the dirt, protecting the front of the building. Abe pulls the truck right up against the church doors.

They all climb out, except for Eugene who is asleep in the back.

Y/N immediately pulls Michonne in for a hug. She hugs Carl and Judith tight too. Judith giggles and makes grabby hands for her.

Y/N takes Judith from Carls hands and bounces her. She kisses her forehead.

Michonne smiles at them, clearly out of breath. "You're back."

Glenn nods. "Yeah. Eugene lied. He can't stop it. Washington isn't the end."

Her face furrows but she doesn't seem too surprised. It did seem too good to be true. They all should've known.

Y/N glances around. "Where is everyone else?"

"Beth's alive. She's in a hospital in Atlanta. Some people have her, but the others went to get her back. Carol is there too.

The relief that washes over her is indescribable. She hasn't seen Beth since the prison fell. It was only weeks ago but it feels more like years.

She thinks about Maggie. The Greene sisters will finally be together again. They already lost Hershel. They need each other more than ever.

Michonne smiles again. "And Daryl's back."

Y/N's knees suddenly go weak. Glenn wraps an arm around her waist and pulls her in close. She chuckles in relief, knowing that her best friend is alive.

Rosita and Tara smile.

"Let's blow this joint. Go save our friends." Tara says.
————————————————————————
The truck pulls up to Grady Memorial hospital.

Everyone but Eugene, Carl, and Judith get out.

Weapons are ready. Y/N holds her sword. Dead walkers litter the floor around the outside.

They walk closer, when suddenly a door opens.

Rick walks out first. He shakes his head.

Sasha comes next. Her face unreadable.

Then Tyreese, holding up a slightly injured Carol.

Then the unthinkable. Daryl walks out, tears in his eyes, carrying a limp Beth, bridal style. Her blonde ponytail riddled with blood, a gunshot to her head.

Behind him, Maggie. She's broken. Tears streak her face. She's covered in blood splatter.

And finally, behind them is a young teen boy. Michonne filled them in on the drive, informing them that when Daryl arrived, he was with a kid named Noah. He looks crushed. His eyes are glossy.

Y/N stops walking. She drops her sword, feeling empty. Glenn looks at the floor. Michonnes eyes fill with tears. Rosita, Tara, Abraham and Gabriel all lower their weapons in shock.

Beth. Sweet, innocent, 17-year-old Beth, is dead.
————————————————————————