Chapter 46) Familarity

The creaking of the cell block door makes everyone jump up from their seated positions.

Y/N gasps when Rick walks in. She's holding the baby and feeding her a bottle of formula.

Rick wipes his forehead. He's covered in blood and carrying an axe.

"Everyone okay?" He asks.

Hershel nods. "Yeah, we are. How about you?"

He points behind him. "Cleared the boiler block."

"How many were there?" Beth asks quietly.

"I don't know. A dozen. Two dozen." He pauses. "I have to get back. Just wanted to check in."

Glenn takes a step. "Rick we can handle the bodies."

Daryl nods. "You don't have to."

Rick sighs. "I do. Everyone have a gun and knife?"

Carl speaks up. "Yeah. Running low on ammo though."

Y/N inhales shakily. "Me and Glenn were planning on making a run today."

Glenn nods. "Found a phone book with some places we can hit. Look for bullets and formula."

One of the prisoners, Oscar speaks from his seat at the table. "We cleared out the generator room. Axels there trying to fix it in case of emergency."

"We're gonna sweep the lower levels as well." Daryl says.

Rick looks at everyone briefly. "Good. Good." He turns and leaves.

"Rick." Archer calls after him.

Y/N hands the baby to Glenn and follows the sheriff.

She walks down the corridors that are full with dead bodies. She finally catches up to him. "Rick."

He stops but doesn't turn to face her.

"Rick, can you look at me please?"

He slowly turns around. She sighs. "I didn't want to. She made me. She begged me. I had to do it, Rick."

He nods. "I know, Y/N. I don't blame you."

She sighs of relief. "Thank god... I thought.. I thought you would hate me for what I did."

He hesitantly takes a small step towards her. She tilts her head but says nothing as he walks closer. He pulls her in for a semi-awkward hug.

She smiles as her eyes get wet. She blinks them away. "Thank you." He whispers.

She pulls away. "For what?"

"Being with her. Being with Carl. Helping the baby. Thank you."

She nods and he turns to go back to the boiler room where he was earlier.

She slowly walks back to the cell block and the group looks at her hopefully. Their hope fades when they realize that Rick isn't with her.

She takes the baby back from Glenn and continues feeding her.

"Well?" Maggie asks sitting across from her.

"He needs time. Just give him time." She says softly.
————————————————————————
Y/N and Glenn are packing up their car when Archer walks up with Maggie trailing him.

"Got room for one more?" He asks.

Y/N smiles. "Sure."

Maggie hugs him tightly. "Be safe."

He nods as he throws his pack in the backseat. "Always." He kisses her cheek and hops in the car. Y/N waves at Maggie as Glenn starts the car engine.

The drive to the shop is silent other than Y/N's light humming to the song playing off the CD. Glenn has one hand on the wheel and his other hand on her thigh.

Archer is holding a list of things their group is hoping they find.

"We're here." Glenn says, parking the car out front.

Y/N knocks against the window. No snarling. The three go inside and spend a few minutes gathering items. They meet out the front door and show each other what they found.

Y/N found a couple containers of powdered formula and a rubber duck. She figures that the baby should at least have some toys especially with growing up in a prison.

Archer brought back a couple cans and condiments. Glenn found some batteries and cough syrup.

Y/N smiles at their find. She looks up to the sky. "It's a straight shot back to the prison from here. We'll probably make it home in time for dinner."

Glenn nods. "I like the quiet. Back home, you can always hear them outside the fence no matter where you are."

Archer goes to say something when suddenly a male voice calls out from behind them. "And where is it you good people call home?"

Y/N shivers at the voice. She knows it from somewhere. She slowly turns around with her sword in hand. Glenn holds up his gun and Archer has his bow.

Her eyes widen when she sees the owner of the voice. Merle Dixon.

Glenn and Archer are just as surprised. "Jesus. You made it." Glenn says.

"Holy sh*t. Hey sugar tits. Never thought i'd see y'all's sorry asses again. Can you tell me, is my brother alive?"

Glenn nods, a glare on his face. Archers bow is aimed directly at Merle's head.

"Hey, you take me to him and I'll call it even on everything that happened up there in Atlanta. No hard feelings. Huh?" Merle says, his own weapon aimed at the trio.

Y/N glances at his hand. It's gone. He has some contraption on it with a knife.

He catches her eyes and smiles, gesturing to it. "You like that? I found myself a medical supply warehouse. Fixed it up myself. Well, pretty cool, huh?"

Y/N sighs. "We'll tell Daryl we saw you. He'll come out to meet you."

Merle clicks his tongue. "Uh uh uh. The fact that we found each other is a miracle. Come on now, you can trust me."

"Trust us. We can bring him to see you." Y/N says, grinding her teeth.

Merle suddenly makes a move, grabbing Y/N and whipping her around so her back is against his chest. Her sword gets knocked to the ground and he puts his knife against her throat.

Archer and Glenn both take a step forward. Glenn shouts at Merle. "Let her go!"

Archer fires an arrow but misses and the cold knife slices her throat just barely, causing a drop of blood to slide down her neck. "Put your sh*t in the car. Now!"

They do as he says. "There we go. Now we're gonna go for a little drive."

Archer shakes his head. "We aren't taking you to our camp."

Merle shakes his head with a smirk. "Nah. We're going somewhere else. Now get in the car. Glenn, you're driving."

Merle lets go of Y/N and shoves her in the back of the car. Archer gets in the passenger seat. Merle returns the knife to her throat. "That way."

Glenn hesitantly drives where Merle directed them, leaving the basket of formula and Y/N's sword forgotten on the concrete.
————————————————————————