Chapter 63) Dizzy

Every hour, more and more people enter cell block A. Dozens.

Y/N lays against the cool concrete floor of the cell she was given. Someone coughs down the way. Someone groans. Someone cries.

Y/N wipes her forehead. She's sweating. She's dizzy. She's dehydrated. It's been hours since she's taken her pills. She needs them to function.

She's nothing without them.

She wants to cry. She wants to punch the wall. She wants to scream. Instead, she just lays on the floor, praying for it all to stop. The symptoms of withdrawal are occurring and she has no way to stop it.

Suddenly a familiar voice speaks. "Y/N."

His voice is raspy. Dry. She sits up and sees the one person she didn't want to see in this predicament. Glenn. He's pale. His forehead is moist. She stands and grips the bars of her cell.

"Glenn." She whispers. He touches her hands against the bars. "Are you okay?"

"Are you?"

He huffs. "I've been better."

She smiles against her pain. He leans forward and kisses her forehead. Dr. S leads him away, to a different cell.

She sits back on the floor, tears fighting to fall. According to Daryl, who stopped by at the glass window, he and Michonne are taking a small group to a vet clinic in search of antibiotics. It's a long trip.

He promises to be back soon. Before he leaves she taps the glass. "Can you-" cough. "Send Carl? Please?"

He nods once, and leaves.

It takes several hours before Carl finally appears at the glass window separating the sick block, from the rest of the prison. Caleb sends her there and she enters the small room to find Carl.

His eyes widen at the sight of her.

She sighs and collapses into the chair.

"Y/N..." He says.

She looks at him. "I need... I need you to do me a favor."

Carl nods. "Anything."

She leans a little closer, lowering her voice even though nobody is around. "You have to promise not to tell anyone. I mean it."

He nods again. "Promise."

She wipes a bead of sweat off her face. "In the tower... my backpack. Inside there's a bottle of pills. I need you to bring that to me, Carl."

He stands. "I will."

She presses her hand against the glass, eyes pleading. "Please, hurry."

Ten minutes later, Carl returns, knocking twice on the door to the cell block. She walks over and opens it, covering her mouth with her shirt as she bends down to pick it up. She quickly shoves the bottle into her waistband.

"Thank you." She whispers. He nods. He wants to hug her but knows he can't risk getting sick and infecting Judith. He takes a step back and allows her to shut the door.

She quickly makes her way back to her cell. She fumbles with the bottle. Her vision is blurry again. She isn't sure if it's the sickness or the tears in her eyes.

The lid falls to the floor, making a loud clacking noise. She shakes three into her mouth and swallows. She coughs again, spitting up blood onto her pants. She wipes her mouth and hides the bottle under the pillow on her cot.

She lays down, looking at the ceiling. Her whole body hurts. She needs fluids. She needs food. She hasn't had anything to eat or drink all day.
Except the pills of course.

The attack feels like ages ago. With the fence, and the bodies, and the rats, and the walkers, she hasn't had time to sustain her body.

She feels weak. She feels deteriorated. She feels alone.

Michonne and Daryl left. Glenn is locked away in another cell. Judith and Carl are separated.

Beth and Hershel are in their own cell block.

Maggie and Rick are somewhere. She doesn't even know.

She feels alone. She feels exhausted. She shuts her eyes, hoping to drown out the pain with sleep.
————————————————————————
She wakes up to Hershel sitting in her cell. He has a bandana wrapped around his face.

Before she can even speak, he's handing her a cup. "Drink it."

She obeys, sitting up and drinking some type of red liquid. She doesn't ask what it is, and he doesn't tell her.

He sighs. "Hang in there, Y/N."

She leans against the wall. "You shouldn't be in here."

She coughs, trying to cover her mouth but it's too late. Blood splatters onto Hershel's face and she shuts her eyes.

"I'm sorry."

He shakes his head, taking off the bandana and wiping his face. He hugs her tight. "I'm here, and I'm staying in here."

He pulls away and a tear slides down her face. "I can't believe, after all this time, we die from a glorified cold." She huffs out.

He places a damp cloth on her forehead. "Don't say things like that. Don't even think things like that. We've got this far somehow. We all have jobs here. Yours is to stay alive."

Y/N clenches her jaw sadly. Those were similar words to what her father told her a few months ago, as he was bleeding out in the governors dungeon.

Stay alive for them.

She nods.

After a moment she speaks. "How's Glenn?"

"He's doing okay. For now. I won't sugarcoat it. If Daryl's group doesn't get the medicine back soon... we'll have more graves to dig."

She huffs. "Now who's the pessimist?"

He smiles slightly. "It's true."

She nods. "I know."

He pats her shoulder as he stands. "I'm going to go check on the others." He points at the cup. "Finish that. It should help a little."

"Thank you, Hersh."

He smiles and leaves her cell.
————————————————————————
Meanwhile, outside, Rick stands next to Carol.

He sighs and looks at her. "That was a stupid thing you did. Going out there like that."

The waterline was muddy and so Carol went outside the fence to fix it, almost getting bit in the process.

She nods. "Yeah... It was."

"You know, you do a lot for us, for the kids. You sacrifice a lot. Is there anything you wouldn't do for the people here?"

She shakes her head. "No."

She starts to walk away, holding two buckets when Rick stops her.

"Carol. Did you kill Karen and David?"

"Yes."
————————————————————————