Chapter 5) The sheriff

Y/N and Glenn rush down the stairs, the others close behind. Glenn leads Y/N out through an exit that doesn't have too many rotters around. They rush down towards the sounds of gunfire. The rest stay back in the building.

Glenn opens a metal gate in an alley and they come face to face with the man over the radio holding a gun to Glenn's face.

"Woah! Not dead! Come on! Come on! Back here! Come on! Come on!"

Glenn leads the way followed by Y/N and the mystery sheriff. Glenn ushers Y/N up the ladder first and he goes second calling out to the man below.

"What are you doing? Come on! Come on, get up!"

The man climbs up after them. Once up on the platform all three stand panting for a second.

"Nice moves there, Clint Eastwood. You the new sheriff come riding in to clean up the town?"

He shakes his head. "It wasn't my intention."

"Yeah, whatever. Yeehaw. You're still a dumbass."

Y/N coughs out a laugh at that.

"Rick. Thanks"

"Glenn. You're welcome."

Rick nods his head to Y/N. She nods back "Y/N. Nice to meet you... officer?"

"Just Rick is fine."

Glenn glances down to see rotters surrounding the ladder. "Oh no... The bright side: it'll be the fall that kills us. I'm a glass half full kinda guy"

The three climb the ladder to the roof of a building next to the building the rest of the group is in.

"Are you guys the ones that barricaded the alley?" Rick asks.

"Somebody did... I guess when the city got overrun. Whoever did it was thinking not many rotters would get through." Y/N answers.

Rick nods in understanding and looks over to Glenn. "Back at the tank, why'd you stick your neck out for me?"

"Call it foolish, naive hope that if I'm ever that far up sh*t creek, somebody might do the same for me. Guess I'm an even bigger dumbass than you."

Y/N smiles at that. "We aren't ones to just let someone die. Especially like that."

Rick tosses her a small smile. "Thank you guys. Truly."

The three go down another ladder down to the ground level.

"Call them." Y/N says gesturing to the door across the way.

Glenn pulls out the walkie from his pack. "We're back. Got a guest plus four geeks in the alley."

T-Dog and Morales come out the door, decked out in protective gear and baseball bats. They take care of the rotters and the three make a run for the building. Morales and T-Dog follow in after.

Jacqui and Andrea are waiting just inside.

Before anyone can stop her, Andrea pulls a gun on Rick, shoving it in his face. "You son of a b*tch. We ought to kill you."

Morales reaches out. "Just chill out, Andrea. Back off."

Jacqui agrees, taking a step closer. "Come on, ease up."

Andrea scoffs. "Ease up? You're kidding me, right? We're dead because of this stupid asshоlе."

"Andrea, I said back the hell off." Morales tries again. Andrea doesn't move. "Well, pull the trigger."