Chapter 72) Cursed

"How'd you survive here for so long? Where did your supplies come from?" Rick asks.

"Luck. Our annual canned food drive. Things fell apart right after we finished it. It was just me. The food lasted a long time. And then I started scavenging. I've cleaned out every place nearby. Except for one." Gabriel says.

Everyone stands around inside the small church. Rick tilts his head. "What kept you from it?"

"It's overrun."

"How many?" Y/N asks.

"A dozen or so. Maybe more." He responds.

Rick shrugs. "We can handle a dozen."

Sasha nods, interlocking her hand with Bob. "Me and Bob will go with you."

She looks over at Y/N who holds Judith. "Y/N should stay here. Help keep Judith safe."

She smiles slightly. Rick glances at her. "That'll be okay?"

Y/N nods. "We've been through a lot together, me and Jude. You ever need me to watch her, need anything for her, i'm right here."

The others smile gently at her. Rick nods. "I'm grateful for it. For everything."

Gabriel starts to walk away. "I'll draw you a map."

Rick turns to him. "You don't need to. You're coming with us."

"I'm not gonna be any help. You saw me. I'm no good around those things."

"You're coming with us." Rick says dryly.
————————————————————————
Tyreese, Y/N, Judith, Carl, and Rosita stay at the church.

Bob, Rick, Sasha, Gabriel, and Michonne left for the food bank a few hours ago.

Glenn, Maggie, and Tara went in search of more weapons and supplies.

Daryl and Carol set off to collect water.

Abraham is outside trying to fix the short-bus with Eugene. Well, Eugene is just sitting in the shade while Abe works on the bus.

Y/N is bouncing Judith on her leg when she glances over at her bag. The test is buried in the bottom of it. She sighs.

"Hey Carl?" She asks.

"Yeah?"

"Can you take your sister for a second? I... I need to go do something."

Carl eyes her as he takes Judith out of her arms. "The pills?" He whispers.

She stands, shaking her head. "No. I stopped those. It's something else. Don't worry about it."

Carl seems to sigh in relief, knowing that she isn't taking the medicine anymore. She grabs her bag, shooting a glance at Rosita as she heads into the small bathroom in the back of the church.

She shuts the door and sits on the edge of the seat. Her stomach is flipping upside-down. She's afraid to know the truth. Nonetheless, she pulls the small pink box out of her bag and opens it up.

She pulls down her pants and pops a squat over the stick. She shuts her eyes tight.

Once she's done, she sets it face down on the sink. She pulls her pants back up and paces in the little space.

Pacing. Pacing. Pacing. She keeps pacing as she counts the minutes in her head. Finally, she stops pacing.

She grabs the stick with shaky hands and inhales deeply. She flips it over.

Two lines. She drops the stick onto the floor.

She loses her balance and trips, bumping her knee into the door.

She touches her forehead. She feels dizzy.

She's pregnant.

Suddenly there's a knock at the door. "Y/N? You okay?"

It's Rosita.

Y/N doesn't move. She doesn't respond. She just sits there as the door bursts open. She just sits there as Rosita picks up the test and sees the verdict. The curse.

She just sits there as Rosita hugs her.

She just sits there.
————————————————————————
People are laughing. People are happy.

The others returned from their various endeavors. Rick and his group found a whole bunch of food. Carol and Daryl got water. Glenn and his group found three silencers for their guns.

It's dark now. Candles light up the small place of worship. They all sit around on the pews or the floor.

Michonne and Maggie pass out plates of food. Their first real food in quite some time.

Y/N sits quietly next to Glenn. She scoops bite after bite of beans into her mouth.

She can't bring herself to smile. To laugh. To enjoy the moment. All she thinks about is Lori. How she died because Y/N had to cut her open. How she couldn't survive.

Y/N worries. She's pregnant. What if she ends up like Lori? What if Daryl has to do it? What if Glenn has to?

Her mind races with thoughts as she finishes her plate.

There's wine being spread around. Tara tried handing Y/N a glass but she just shook her head.

Abraham stands up. "I'd like to propose a toast. I look around this room... and I see survivors. Each and every one of you has earned that title. To the survivors."

He holds up his glass and people cheer. "Survivors!" They all say happily.

Abe continues. "Is that all you want to be? Wake up in the morning, fight the undead pricks, forage for food, go to sleep at night with two eyes open, rinse and repeat? 'Cause you can do that. I mean, you got the strength. You got the skill. Thing is, for you people, for what you can do, that's just surrender. Now, we get Eugene to Washington and he will make the dead die and the living will have this world again. And that is not a bad takeaway for a little road trip."

Judith coos and Rick shushes her gently.

"Eugene, what's in DC?" Abe asks.

"Infrastructure constructed to withstand pandemics even of this fubar magnitude. That means food, fuel, refuge. Restart."

Abe nods. "However this plays out, however long it takes for the reset button to kick in, you can be safe there. Safer than you've been since this whole thing started. Come with us. Save the world for that little one." He says glancing at Judith. "Save it for yourselves. Save it for the people out there... who don't got nothing left to do except survive."

Rick chuckles as Judith coos again. "I think she knows what I'm about to say. She's in. If she's in, I'm in. We're in."

The group laughs and cheers again. Y/N smiles slightly. Save the world. For the baby. For Judith. For Carl. For her family.

For everyone.
————————————————————————