Preparation

I blinked as I was waking up and stretched sitting up from my bed. I groaned a bit and walked down the hall to the bathroom to get a shower and change for the day.

~~~

I looked at myself in the mirror putting my hair in dreads and up in a bun. I took my toothbrush, squeezing the toothpaste on it and started to brush my teeth.

I spit out the toothpaste and when I looked back in my reflection I noticed something from in my mouth before I closed it. I raised an eyebrow and opened my mouth.

My eyes widened. I dropped my toothbrush and let out a yell "WHAT?!"

I leaned over the sink as I covered my mouth. I heard running footsteps and the door opened. I looked and saw my brother had opened the door and everyone else had followed, concerned.

"Sis! What's wrong?" Jay walked to me.

"I don't know what happened, I..." I stuttered and removed my hand as I opened my mouth. The others gasp.

~~~

I sat at one of the dining chairs. Nya turned the flashlight off as she inspected inside my mouth "That's definitely a Serpentine tongue and fangs...And they're fully developed. How did this happen?" She questioned as everyone else was in the room.

"I...I don't know. I was just brushing my teeth when afterwards I noticed it." I explained and sighed.

"I'll go make a potion to get rid of this" Wu said and left the room with Misako. "Wait so, you aren't bit?" Jay questioned and I shook my head. Zane scanned me "Hm...She is correct, there's not a single bite on her."

"It's just so...Random. How could you transform overnight?" Kai inquired.

Wu came back with Misako and handed me the tea to make this problem go away. I gently took the cup and drank from it.

I soon finished and set the cup down on my lap. "How are you feeling?" Wu asked and I glanced at him. "It didn't work..." I informed him and stuck my forked tongue out.

His eyes widened "What...?"

My tongue went back in and I sighed "Am I gonna stay like this...? I don't wanna scare you guys with this."

Nya grabbed my hands gently "We aren't scared of you Asteria. Besides, you're not even an actual Serpentine."

I sighed "Yeah...I guess."

~~~

I had been training as it was dark out, it was close to midnight. I couldn't get my thoughts straight...I kept thinking from earlier. How could I just have Serpentine and teeth overnight?

I yawned softly and walked to the kitchen to get some food. I searched for bowls when I saw them at the top of the fridge. I raised an eyebrow but paid it no mind as I reached up and grabbed a bowl but knocked the rest down.

"Uh...Whoops." I muttered and got ramen as I started to cook it in the microwave.

After I finished I gently blowed on it so it wouldn't be so hot.

"There's something in there" I heard Cole's voice whisper and I looked around and looked at the doorway, seeing the others.

Through the darkness, the four froze in place and I stared at them confused.

Jay shined his flashlight at me and jumped. He dropped the light as the other three let out screams and ran out of the room.

"Take that!" Kai shouted throwing a pillow at me before retreating.

I dropped my fork and I shouted while hissing "Why?!"

Cole calmed down tilting his head "Asteria?" He questioned and found the light switch as the light turned on.

I stood there with my hands on my hips, clearly peeved as spilled ramen was at my feet. "Who else?" I hissed glaring at the four.

"What are you doing in here so late?" Nya asked as she made Kai clean up the mess he caused.

"And in the dark?" Jay added.

"I was eating ramen because I missed dinner while training outside." I explained. "I didn't want to wake anyone either..."

Nya giggled at my answer "Well at least a creature didn't sneak on board. But I heard a crash from in here."

"The bowls fell from the top of the fridge. Speaking of, who puts bowls on top of the fridge?" I replied gesturing to the bowls with a look of disdain.

"Now I'm wide awake" Cole hummed as he retrieved Jay's flashlight.

"Asteria why were your eyes glowing red and orange?" Cole questioned me.

"Glowing red and orange?" I asked confused as I ate what was left of my spilled ramen. I would move it away when Kai would get too close to it.

"I don't know what you're talking about" I replied unaware of what the four saw.

"It's possible Jay's flashlight reflected on her eyes" Nya proposed an explanation.

"Whatever it was, my heart dropped." Jay let out a sigh of relief.

"Did I scare you guys?" I asked letting out a chuckle at their expressions. I reassured them "We'll call it even."

~~~

After saying goodnight to the others I went back to my room. Out of nowhere, I felt heat behind my eyes as my head started to ache. My eyes were so warm it was like I was on the verge of crying.

Another one of my headaches it seems. They always come and go in painful fits. Whenever this issue happens, I end up dreaming of that man again. I could never remember the contents of the dream except for his skin, I don't know what his face looks like...

Turning my head, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I jumped a bit before getting closer.

In my reflection I didn't see my golden eyes, instead two glowing red and orange eyes staring back at me. My left eye being red and my right eye being orange.

"What the?" I muttered to myself as that little girl's comment flooded my mind. This has happened before, this bizzare glow in the source of the heat behind my eyes. It makes sense, but why is it happening?

I stayed awake for a while pondering in bed. I wondered if there was the possibility I had powers like the others. An elemental power, something similar or different altogether?

Unsure what to make of this, I set it aside. I wanted to confirm for myself before anything else. If I do have powers, maybe I could unlock them on my own.

~~~

Author's Edit: Oct 11, 2023

~~~