The Cake Is A Lie

Start from the beginning

"I love ceremonies. That means there's going to be cake" Cole perked up with delight.

"Lloyd's change inspired them, now they invited Lloyd to give him an honorary degree in excellence" Sensei Wu told the group.

I was very confused needing some context as I watched Lloyd beat up the punching bag. Lloyd broke the broom in half before head butting the bag grunting as he flopped onto the floor in defeat.

I walked over and knelt next to him "You okay?" I asked gently poking his cheek.

~~~

From what I understand, Lloyd's old bad guy school is going to be giving him a special prize because his change sparked a good influence on them. An award with a whole ceremony in place.

Lloyd told me stories of his time there and that sounds out of character for that kind of place. From fire ants placed in his bed to someone giving him food poisoning. Not to mention the young Garmadon was made an outcast by his peers for not fitting in with their ways.

Needless to say I am skeptical of this special ceremony.

I rode on the back of the Ultra dragon behind the others. Lloyd was still learning how to control the winged beast so he was the operator in training.

I lied on my back on the Ultra dragon as I stared up in the sky. I reached up to the clouds and smiled a bit, it feels like I could touch them.

I've gained a new hobby of watching clouds too...Just wanting to touch one. I wonder what they feel like. Maybe I will one day.

"Now that we can ride the dragon we should get to Darkley's in no time" Jay said aloud.

"That's if Lloyd can get us there in one piece" Kai replied with uneasiness in his voice.

Cole sat up front instructing Lloyd how to control the dragon "Just be gentle, any sudden moves can cause him to-"

"Any sudden what?!" Lloyd shouted and the dragon suddenly lurched straight down the wind howling as we hurled towards the ground.

I held onto the Dragon tightly to not be flown off.

"The reins! Let go of the reins!" Cole shouted to Lloyd as he did as he was told.

The dragon circled around our destination before landing in front of the school and I fell off the Dragon facefirst into the ground.

"Ughhh..." I groaned. "Asteria? You ok?" I heard Jay asked and I held a thumbs up. I sat up and got on my feet as I felt my head, it slightly throbbing.

"I'll take the reins going home, just to be safe" I overheard Cole tell Lloyd as we headed towards the school.

I looked up at the sign that read 'Darkley School For Great Children.'

I looked around taking in the well kept landscape and freshly bloomed flowers on the bushes.

Up ahead a boy turned around from where he tended to some flowers. He gasped when he saw the green ninja. "Lloyd?" He called out to Lloyd in question.

"Brad?" Lloyd replied recognizing the boy with a perplexed look on his face.

"You came! So good to see you!" Brad ran over pulling Lloyd into a warm hug as a greeting.

"It is? You put fire ants in my bed" Lloyd raised an eyebrow as he pulled away from the hug.

Brad apologized saying "Please forgive me. I wasn't myself, and have learned the errors of my ways." He looked around at us. "And you must be the ninja" he awed in delight.

Lloyd turned around saying "Uh, guys, meet Brad Tudabone."

The boy walked over to us in excitement "Such a huge fan, go good!" He exclaimed as he shook each of our hands. Brad gestured to the front door leading the way "Please, will you follow me to see the principal?"

We followed behind heading into the building. I walked down the halls passing by classrooms and lockers.

"Uh, shouldn't you all be in class?" Cole asked the boy as we walked down the hall. It was odd that the place was completely vacant.

"Actually, today is a new Darkley school tradition: Ninja Day" Brad explained "We stay out of sight to honor the way of the ninja for showing us the light."

I nudged Jay and casted him an uneasy look. He nods as we shared looks and turned forward again.

"Huh this is a good school, I'm impressed" Cole stated as the boy opened the door and led us inside.

"Principal Noble, Lloyd and his friends are here for the ceremony" the boy called out to a door where I'd assume where the principal was.

"That, and the cake. By the way, do you know what kind it is?" Cole added in with excitement as he drooled over the idea of the sweet treat.

I could see a stiff silhouette of a man with a pipe speak "I'll be with you in just a moment." He called from behind the door.

Brad started to head towards the door to leave "I should get back to the flowers" he excused himself and closed the door behind him.

"Um, has anyone seen a teacher yet?" Jay stated aloud.

Zane nodded in agreement "Indeed, their absence is most strange."

"I'll see you now. Come in, come in" the principal called from behind the door as it opened.

I stayed behind trying to grab Lloyd but he slipped past my fingertips. I looked up and saw a boy shine a flashlight on his face.

"Welcome back Lloyd" the boy with orange hair and glasses greeted in a sickly way. "Gene?" Lloyd said in confusion.

"And welcome Lloyd's friends, to the new Darkley's boarding school for worse boys!" He declared with a evil laugh cutting a rope.

"Lloyd!" I yelled as I tried to reach him but sandbags fell from the ceiling on top of the five.

"Gene, I'm gonna get you for this..." Lloyd huffed.

"Oh looks like we have one extra" Gene smiled mischievously at me before turning to the other boys ordering "Get her!"

Young boys surrounded me stepping over the other's unconscious bodies. They had weapons ranging from baseball bats to slingshots with rocks. They started firing rocks and I turned on my heels running out of the room.

There's no way I'm gonna hit a kid and there were too many to apprehended. I could hear them running after me. In an effort to lose the young boys I hid in a storage closet.

~~~

Author's Edit: Oct 11, 2023

~~~