childcare 101 and motherhood for dummies

Molly had called the twins and August over one morning to help with the house. They were a week out from the kids coming home from school and having Order members here every other weekend and the older boys coming and going with their friends, the house was a wreck.

"Why can't we just save this mess for Ron," Fred complained, as he stood in one place, moving the broom back and forth like it was actually doing something. It was not.

"Give me that." Molly yanked the broom from his hand, "Go grab the sheets off the line, I need to make up Gins room. Hermione is staying with us this summer."

"I don't understand why we're doing physical work," Fred complained, storming out of the house, "We do have a thing called magic!"

Molly groaned, and then relaxed, "I need to go into town for some errands, do you two need anything?"

"I think we're good," George said. August and George were sitting at the kitchen table, folding more laundry.

"August, dear?"

"I'm okay." August smiled at her. There was still a weird tension between the two of them. Maybe it was just the lingering awkwardness or the secret that Molly told her about her brothers. Once Molly left, and they heard the crack of her apparition, George turned to August and she smiled.

"She won't know," August smirked. "I'd rather just lay on the couch, than fold all of this."

George lifted his wand at the table, and all the laundry folded itself and laid in perfect stacks. Organized better than what the two of them would have done if they did it by hand.

"I don't understand why she's so against magic with housework." George put his hands out to grab August. They were about to go to the living room to relax with Tonks walked in the front door. "We're terrible at cleaning, to begin with-"

"Hi Tonks..." August paused. "And small child."

"I did something," Tonks said. August and George stared at her and then at the small child next to her.

"Did you steal it?" August asked. Fred came around the corner with a basket of sheets in his arms and paused then smiled.

"Hey, little man." He winked at the kid, "Who's he?"

"My son..."

"Your what?!" The three yelled.

"I adopted him," Tonks said. "I wanted a kid, always have. You're mum actually helped me before she died... She told me about what she did for Harry, and we got to talking, and yeah. I applied last year when you were gone... And they just got back to me, like today... So I have a kid."

"Just like that." August shook her head slowly. "I didn't know you wanted to be a mum..."

"Yeah, always... I just didn't want to do the marrying of someone or the doing it part."

"That's a child." August stared at the kid looking at her. "And it's walking toward me."

George snorted, watching August slowly back up from him.

"He doesn't bite." Tonks laughed.

"How would you know? You just met him today." August eyed the toddler walking up to her.

"His name is Teddy," Tonks told the trio. "Dad was pretty pumped when they showed up with him this morning. I think it was a sign really, that he was already named that."

August and Teddy were having a staring contest but not really on August's accord. August's eyes kept growing wider as the little boy looked up at her.

"Is he, you know a wizard?" Fred asked.