courtroom ten

August woke up at half-past five the next morning as abruptly and completely as if somebody had yelled in her ear. August looked over to her left and found George completely passed out, with his mouth slightly open, with small snores escaping. She gently caressed his cheek and turned back on her pillow. For a few moments she lay immobile as the prospect of the hearing filled every tiny particle of her brain, then, unable to bear it, she leaped out of bed and ran to her bathroom. The brown slacks and cream blouse she wore that one Christmas at her grandparents was on an old wire hanger hooked on the edge of the door. She scrambled into them. There was a Boots Pharmacy bag in the sink with all new makeup and hair clips. She gently brushed blush on her cheeks and brushed out her eyebrows as Angelina did for the ball. She pulled back the front bits of her hair, clipping them and then brushing her bangs out into a curtain style.

George was still lying sprawled on his back with his mouth wide open, fast asleep. He did not stir as August crossed the room, stepped out onto the landing, and closed the door softly behind her. Before August went downstairs, she snuck into Harry's room. She saw Ron first, in one of the spare beds by the window, looking exactly like George, but when she turned her head, Harry was sitting up in his bed already looking at her.

"You look nice." Harry smiled at her, "Moody will be glad you put the corduroys away."

August smiled at him, sadly.

"Can we go out tonight?" August asked, "I want to go to the coffee shop down the street."

"Yeah." He smiled, "Everyone will probably be itching to get out of the house for a bit."

"Okay." August whispered, "I have to go."

"You're not alone, August." He said quickly, before she could leave, "I'm right here."

"I know." August smiled, running to him and engulfing him in a hug.

"We'll figure this out."

August nodded, quickly, turning her face to wipe her eyes.

"Love you." She said, quickly as she left.

"Wait." He said before she disappeared behind the door.

"Yeah?"

"Happy Birthday."

She had expected it to be empty, but it was not. When she reached the door of the kitchen she heard the soft rumble of voices on the other side and when she pushed it open she saw her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Sirius, and Tonks sitting there almost as though they were waiting for her.

All were fully dressed except Molly, who was wearing a quilted, purple dressing gown. She leaped to her feet the moment she entered.

"Breakfast," she said as she pulled out her wand and hurried over to the fire.

"M-m-morning, Moon," yawned Tonks. Her hair was blonde and curly this morning. "Sleep all right?"

"Yeah," said August.

"I've b-b-been up all night," she said, with another shuddering yawn. "Come and sit down..."

She drew out a chair, knocking over the one beside it in the process.

"What do you want, August?" Molly called. "Porridge? Muffins? Kippers? Bacon and eggs? Toast?"

"Just — just toast, thanks," said August. She watched her mother, walk over to Molly and grab the toast from her and began making it their normal way.

"How are you feeling?" Sirius asked, sitting next to her. Remus moved from his seat to the one in front of her.

August shrugged.