Domirella: The Surreal Succubi - Chapter Twenty-Three

At the front entry to Lucianne's Inn, nine majestic jet-black horses greet me. Two drew a large, heavy-looking wagon, and another drew a simple but elegant carriage. The wagon appears to seat about four to six. It seems they brought supplies as well. Searl is a resourceful man. Cathy and I have been fortunate to meet people that can help us in this world. Our situation could be worse, considering. Everyone looks ready to go. By morning, we should be in the capital. Sissel's new garments made her look like a maid, and Lythienne matched hers. Cathy wore this rough-looking armor that made her look like a seasoned knight. The twins look like Swag bucklers in leather garments and matching black hats. They even looked human, but I could tell. It warrants further investigation.

"Hey, how are you now looking human?" I asked.

"That's a straightforward question. We can't go home looking as we do. Our mother's enemies will arrest us on sight," Tonia revealed.

"These amulets will allow us to pass for humans. Aren't they impressive?" Toria said.

"They sure are. If I didn't know how you looked before, I would assume you were human. But, more importantly, why is Cathy wearing armor?" I questioned.

"Remember how she crushed you?? It turns out she is really strong, too strong!" they said in unison.

"That's really not what happened!" Cathy stuttered. "I just prefer this protection, that's all," she added.

"It was my idea. The best way to avoid unwanted suspicions is to travel as adventurers protecting a wealthy merchant. That would be you. Of course, we will have to register at one of the guilds in the capital," Searl explained.

"A sound strategy, but why am I the wealthy merchant?" I asked.

"That would be my doing. I have a keen eye for things of that sort," Lucianne said.

"Well, if you think so, then I can hardly object," I countered.

A group of city guardsmen rode up, led by Captain Winters. He dismounts his horse and greets Searl, then looks at me.

"I hear you are from another world like in the ancient myths. Most citizens believe those myths, but it's more common than you think. My great-grandfather met such a man. They were friends from the moment they met. My grandfather has kept this weapon in our family and has given it to my father. It's what you would call a firearm. It can use internal and external magic. I believe even bullets, if memory serves me well, can be fashioned to use," the captain explained.

He hands it to me. The weapon resembles a silver revolver that looks more like a cannon than anything else. From the early wild west era, if I'm correct. It is a design I wasn't familiar with either.

"Thanks, I'll take good care of it," I said.

"Next time you're back in Tranquility's Harbor, you can tell me about all the adventures you've been on," he said. "Take care of Searl, too. He's a fine warrior," he added.

"That won't be a problem," I countered.

The guards greet us, farewell, and depart to resume their duties. Captain Winters even provided a holster for the weapon. Other people from different eras have come here. I knew that for sure now. I put the holster on and placed the gun in it. A tight fit, but I can get used to it. I notice Lucianne loading a few packs into the carriage.

"What's all that?" I asked.

"I believe they are my personal items and travel attire," she replied.

"You're coming with us?" I said.

"I've decided to, yes. Is that a problem?" Lucianne said, turning to me.

"Not in the slightest. I was going to ask you anyway," I said.

"Hmm, it seems we think alike," she whispered.

"It's been a while since I rode a horse. Let's see if it's anything like riding a bicycle." I said.

"Bicycle?" she said.

"Something from my world. It's an object with two wheels, one in front of the other. Takes a bit to get used to," I explained.

"Sounds convenient,"

I lift myself onto one of the horses. Like I remember. My horse remains calm. I run my hand through its mane, just like when I was a kid. Her coat is smoother and silkier than the rest. She reminds me of my grandmother's horse Nia. I was always very fond of her horse. I need to put some thought into naming her. Everyone else is ready to go. Lucianne takes the carriage, and Lythienne mans the wagon. Everyone was looking at me. I get the feeling they are waiting for me to say something. It's not like I'm the leader or something. We all have common interests, like a group of colleagues working towards a common goal.

"Well... let's go then," I said.