Close enough

Diyoza stared quietly at her pilot, the African American man looked the picture of concern, her unruly crew voice all relegated to background noise , they needed a plan , but she didn't need to listen to their incessant whining. Finding earth as it was, was eye opening, being gone as long as they were, they didn't expect the worlds population to decrease as it did.

"So what are you saying?" She asked snapping back to the conversion with her worried pilot.

"I'm saying, that even now there's a layer of radiation on earth, it's thin, barely noticeable but it's there. And given the information I've managed to gleam, we can pretty much sum it up to all out nuclear warfare. The signs of there and the results of the regression of society is clear."

Regression? She snorted inwardly, that didn't look like regression, more like someone was smart enough to take the power and become a monarch. Yes a somewhat antiquated notion given democracy but she understood, especially of there had been a nuclear war, millions if not billions died. Science and technology lost , progress halted but she stopped when she remembered the gorgeous city. She glanced at the satellite imaging. And stared at one spot in particular "Maybe society isn't where it was when we left, and maybe there's no flying cars , but I wouldn't say regression is the first word pops to mind after seeing that city. It's clear they have access to technology, weapons, etc. from what we saw even hospitals and the building while not skyscrapers are good, the craftsmanship is clearly unique .." she paused or rather was cut off by one of the inmates .

"Yeah, yeah , that all sounds fucking fantastic but I wanna know whether or when I can kill that stuck up bitch." Mccreary sneered , his teeth stained yellow, making him look as deranged as he was.

Diyoza glared at the interruption "And you'd like to go in half cocked? Not knowing what we're up against? Are you an idiot?" She asked before snorting derisively "Actually don't answer , I'm pretty sure you are."

The ex Air Force pilot glanced at the inmate and his warden "She's got a point?" He said suppressing a shiver at the venomous glare he received in return.

"Shut up you fucking —""

"Enough!" Diyoza stopped him before he could take it to far and for once since the hostile take over , the ex pilot shot a grateful glance at his new warden.

Diyoza didn't see it or if she did , didn't acknowledge it "We've got one more plasma gun, that can take out pretty much a good part of that city but killing indiscriminately sets a bad precedent if we want to take over." She settled with a slight frown, besides there was plenty of innocent? People , no, actually she didn't care specifically but if they wanted to take charge it would be better to have them submit before following through with the threat..

Before she could ponder anymore , a yelp cut her off annoyed by the action she turned to glare at the pilot only to find him staring at something in disbelief , jaw hanging, eyes wide, his dark skin paling.

"What the fuck—""

"How?"

"What the hell—""

A cacophony of disbelief chorused through the group settled in the deck . Here they were orbiting earth in space , where there was little to no oxygen and yet they found themselves staring at a figure .. wearing a black toga and a golden wreath crown glinting in the darkness of space..

"Oh my god.." Shane finally uttered.

As if the person could hear them, a feral smirk curled up on the red painted lips, white teeth gleaming, and opened their mouth, impossibly the voice was discombobulated but echoed through eligius

"NOT QUITE , BUT CLOSE ENOUGH....."

••••••••