The end as we know it

Planet- Earth
Location- Ohio-Holmes county
Year -2052

It came out of nowhere. No that's wrong it didn't come out of nowhere. It came from somewhere and that somewhere was narrowed down to a certain artificial intelligence, Lara's frustration reached new heights at the news. She wanted nothing more than hang Becca Franko and use the woman's own intestines to tie the noose.

Unfortunately for her and fortunately for Becca , Lara was nowhere near her, which was also to do with that fact that she was down in the underground bunker, arms folded across her chest, three large screens playing various images. A feeling, something she hadn't felt since her time here inched into her gut, perhaps it was the reaction her friend who stood beside her stock still unable to believe his eyes or ears, or maybe it was the sounds of sniffing and cries filling the room from the various other occupants. Whatever it was made her eyes leak salty water.

For three thousand and 20 years she never shed a single tear at the numerous atrocities committed over the years and yet right now her bodily functions seems to be dtysfunctioning at an alarming rate.
Once the first year rolled down her tanned cheeks another followed in quick succession, her jaw wound tight, the screams of the hapless victims echoed in her ears. It shouldn't have been possible because right now they were watching the world wide bombing on satellite imaging with no sound but she could hear the various screams of men, women and children across the world pleading for a god that wouldn't come to save them.

It was heart-wrenching.

"Oh god." Steve gasped covering his mouth as tears rolled down his cheeks "Please .. please turn it off." He pleaded.

The same words were echoed throughout the room but Lara's voice rung out clearly, her tone was not soothing or comforting neither was it cold or dispassionate. "No" the single word had her core group well council turn their gazes at her.

She didn't look to them, instead her gaze remained steady and directed at the tragedy happening before them "This is something you all need to remember. I want it etched into your memory bank. I'm not trying to be cruel. This is something humanity has brought on themselves. So remember it, watch as your fellow humans wither away, watch as they succumb to the radiation so that the next time you think nuclear war is the only answer you'll remember this. You'll remember the heart breaking images of mothers clutching their children in protection, fathers shielding their families. Men and women begging to god to save them.

You remember this , you remember it all. Because it was done by humans to humans. This is as callous as it sounds is your lesson. History will never repeat itself not as long as I have a say and if you even think to try or your descendants try I will rain hellfire upon them and you." Once she was finished her eyes shifted "Watch and remember and never ever let this come close to happening again."

Her words bounced off the walls, every man and woman watching her averted their gaze back to screens, eyes filled with tears, lips trembling in sadness but she could feel the subtle change, the hardening of their resolve.

Theo though put his hand on Lara's shoulder squeezing it as much as he could offering her the silent support she didn't ask for but never rebuffed either.

She released a heavy breath and promised herself "Never again." Her fingers dug into her skin, sticky silver liquid dripping from her palms but she didn't care, nor did she care about anyone seeing. For the first time in centuries. She felt something other than her usual self loathing. She felt mournful, as if the universe itself wept for the loss of life.

'We weep because it's a senseless tragedy.. we grieve as you do our child'

The words echoed in her mind, it sounded like a mesh of different voices at different cadences, soft, kind, commanding and understanding but there was an undertone of fury . She didn't know where or why. But she knew it was important. Two words made her heart skip a beat