[ Stand for myself ]

Who my parents were? Were they dead or alive? Why do I need to stay with my uncle when the only thing he does is abuse my cousin from dusk till dawn while I hide in their closet? Why do I still hear her choked cries and his disgusting groans even though I covered my ears?

I never mouthed out loud these questions, but they round my head every day.

My uncle was an addict. There was never light nor water or food at home, but there was always a stinky smell of weed that drowned the whole place, our clothes and the neighboring houses.

The smell that radiated from our clothes, whenever my cousin and I went out to look for something to eat, was the thing that alerted our neighbors about something bad happening inside our place. Police came and checked up on us. The arrangement was: My uncle would send my cousin and I to school and he'd get a nice job at the local market, otherwise he'll be sent to jail for consuming illegal substances and we both be sent to an orphanage.

— It is better to live here than in an orphanage, Taehyungie. — Said my cousin, her left eye was painfully purple. — So let's do our best at school, okay?

I'd sat alone in the classroom while I'd hear my classmates whisper among them: "Mama said do not talk to him. His family is crazy." And so I never had a friend, everyone would run away from the kid whose family is broken.

But as if that wasn't enough for a bad life, when I turned 12 my uncle considered I was old enough to handle his beatings. Thus, whenever my uncle couldn't stand my cousin's screaming, he'll open the closet I hide in and kick me until he got down from his high. The next day my cousin and I would appear in school with arms, legs and abdomen washed purple.

I felt sick all time, lunch at school seemed nasty and the screaming from my classmates was something I couldn't bare; when all that things became too much, I'll sit at my desk in a curled-up position, covering my ears and shooting my eyes closed until the breathless feeling vanished at all.

Almost three out of five days at school felt overwhelming and I ended up having a little crisis. Then one day, when two girls were arguing about nonsense, my ears started to ring in a high pitch tone, my hands sweaty and some flashbacks of last night's beating came to me. I covered my ears and got my legs closer to my chest as I sit in my assigned place but before closing my eyes, someone sits at the desk in front of me, adopting the same posture I have, but his black eyes watch me expectantly.

— I've seen you do this every time they argue, it's cute.
— After some time the noise lowers. — I explained as my hands leave my ears but hug my legs.

— You don't like noise?
— I... don't.
— EVERYONE SHUT UP! — He shouted to all our classmates and they eyed him up and down annoyed, but they stopped the screaming. — Done! — His full lips smiled at me, I'd never seen such a kind gesture towards me. — I'm Park Jimin, son of Park Hyunsoo, owner of the largest chain of cafes in the country.

And I don't even know who are my parents.

— Haven't you heard those rumors about... my family?
— Your "dangerous" family? — He made a mocking gesture with his hands, then proceeded to take a seat beside me. — Yes, I have. But that sounds interesting so I want you to be my friend.

A friend? My first friend?

I would always be by myself, this was an opportunity I couldn't deny.

— May I...
— Yes, you may! — Jimin extended his hand for me to shake, I did so. — Lee Taehyung, we're friends from now on.

I followed every step Jimin gave. Hiding behind his back as we grew up. He'd be the one getting good grades along with teachers' recognition, pulling lots of friends and girls to his feet; I'll be there to tell him how amazing he was, help him with homework and provide him with anything he needed in an instant.
He'll treat me nice, I was not a freak for him but an equal and so I'll never let him know what happens inside my household.