MEMORIES ARC

Every individual is a different world and life is hard in different ways but my life is defined as stupidly hard.

I never met my mother, I just know her life insurance was good enough to give me and my brother some money to save for the future.

My father was a different story, the owner of a big manufacturing had enough money to let us live in a great neighborhood in Seoul. Father is hard to please, he wants successful kids, the ones that would be good heirs of his enterprise.

— KIM NAMJOON! — My father called me downstairs. — Your useless brother didn't cook dinner again! You're cooking tonight!

Kim Seokjin, my older brother is the one in charge of the house, but sometimes he disappears for two or three days and that's my turn to get in charge of the house chores. This is the third day Seokjin doesn't come to sleep and father hasn't realized it.

— GOT IT!

After I re-read my homework, just to make sure it's finished correctly, I go downstairs to start cooking something simple for dinner.

— So you learned how to cook rice?

As I mix condiments, a voice speaks behind me, my brother.

— You're cooking classes were a real success. — I turned around to smile at him.

— Move your ass, I'm cooking some Jjajangmyeon. — He lightly pushed me away from the stove to take over the cooking task.

I'm grateful for my brother. Even if he disappears sometimes, he always takes care of me. Ever since I remember, he's been by my side, protecting me from my father's demands and giving me company whenever I needed a friend. So as we both sit on the kitchen island to eat, I talk about my day at school and how I'm doing with my exams.

— Have you thought about the club I told you about? — Seokjin asked while munching on some rice.

— The one you train in? No thanks.
— Namjoon-ah~
— I'm okay with just reading my books!
— Don't you think you need to talk to someone your age?
— They're all idiots.
— You might find someone not so stupid there... As I did.
— Haruka is cool, but that's an exception because it's you who we talk about.

Silence flows in the air now. But what I said is true. Kim Seokjin was the perfect inheritor of Mr. Kim; with a contagious laugh and a brain endowed with the ability for math and science, the charismatic youngling is followed and adored by men and women of all ages. That's why he easily pulled a cool friend to his side.

— What were you doing these days?
— Nothing interesting.

We get along really well, but whenever I ask about his disappearance he evades the topic.

— Did you see the ones that moved to the house across the street?
— Dumbasses, for sure. Who the hell wastes money on such a stupidly big house? — I whispered the last question because that's exactly what our father did.

— I saw a boy and his father, the boy seems your age, we should go introduce ourselves.
— Seokjin, we're not in an American movie.

He laughed it off.

The next day I somehow ended in front of the gymnasium my brother was part of. I don't remember if I read "Karate" or "Jiu-jitsu" but it seemed cool to see people here and there jumping high and hitting each other. Later that day, I found myself liking the way I easily lift people from the floor and smashed them back down on the ground.

After four or five months of practicing there, I started to make a name by myself; they told me some stories about Seokjin's amazing flexibility and speed but when I caught up on the basic techniques, I started to be feared, a monster whenever I was chosen for combat.