Chapter 29) Move on

Start from the beginning

Daryl steps toward Shane but Y/N quickly grabs him by the shoulders and gently pulls him away from Shane. "Please."

He looks back at her and sighs. He glares at Shane.

"What're you gonna do man? You her b*tch now?" Shane yells.

This time Y/N can't stop Daryl as he charges after Shane. Thankfully Rick and T-Dog hold him back.

Glenn goes for a punch at Shane but Archer grabs him by the shoulders and pulls him away. "Shane you best shut the hell up."

Daryl tries pulling away from the two men. "Get your hands off me!"

Rick steps forward once Daryl calms down a bit. "Let me talk to Hershel. Okay? Let me talk to him. If we're gonna stay, if we're gonna clear this barn, I have to talk him into it. This is his land."

Dale nods slowly. "Hershel sees those things in there as people... Sick people... His wife, his stepson."

Rick cocks his head. "You knew?"

"Yesterday... I talked to Hershel."

Andrea's eyes widen. "And you waited the night?"

"I thought we could survive one more night. We did. I was waiting till this morning to say something. But Glenn wanted to be the one."

Shane rolls his eyes. "The man is crazy, Rick. You have to see that now."
————————————————————————
Y/N and Glenn sit alone, on the steps of the porch, eyeing the barn from a distance. Glenn takes a deep breath and looks at Y/N.

"I forgot."

She cocks her head at him. "What?"

"I forgot they were dangerous. Walkers. You and Maggie were right. I let them lower me into that well like it was fun. Then the pharmacy happened and I forgot how dangerous they really were. Maggie could've died." He sighs again.

She grabs his hand and squeezes it. "Maggie's okay. She might not understand why we did what we did now, but she will."

Glenn leans his head back, looking up at the sky. "You know... today. With Shane. What he said about you. It's like something snapped inside of me. How dare he talk about you like that? After everything you've done for this group? He really had a lot of nerve."

Y/N nods. "It doesn't bother me."

Glenn turns his head to look at her. "Well it bothered me. I don't want you getting hurt. Ever."

She smiles at that. "I won't, as long as you're here." He returns her smile and there's a tension-filled pause.

Y/N holds her breath as she looks into his eyes. Something shifts in that moment. He starts to lean in when Shane appears out of nowhere holding a bag of guns and shouting.

They quickly break apart and Y/N let's go of his hand. They make eye contact awkwardly as they stand up.

More members of their group come outside at the commotion. "What's going on?" Andrea asks him.

"Where's Rick?" Shane asks.

"He went off with Hershel. We were supposed to leave a couple hours ago to look for Sophia." She replies.

Shane groans loudly and starts pulling out weapons. He hands one to T-Dog. "You with me, man?" T nods.

"Time to grow up. Take charge." Shane hands out more weapons.

"Thought we couldn't carry?" Andrea asks as she receives a weapon.

Shane shakes his head. "We can and we have to. Look, it was one thing sitting around here picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe. But now we know it ain't."

He looks to Glenn and hands him a rifle. "What about you, man? You gonna protect yours?"

Glenn briefly glances at Y/N before taking the gun from Shane.

Shane hands out more. Maggie comes out of the house.

"Can you stop? You do this, you hand out these guns, my dad will make you leave tonight."

Carl shakes his head. "We have to stay, Shane."

"Now look, Hershel, he's just gotta understand. Okay? He... Well, he's gonna have to. Now we need to find Sophia. Am I right? Huh? Now I want you to take this. You take it, Carl, and you keep your mother safe. You do whatever it takes."

Lori scoffs. "Rick said no guns. This is not your call. This is not your decision to make."

Shane goes to say something when T-Dog looks in the distance and spots something. "Oh sh*t."

Y/N looks up and sees Hershel, Jimmy and Rick leading walkers on snare poles toward the barn. "What the hell?" She asks, grabbing a gun from the bag.

Shane starts running. "What is that? What is that?"

The group all run to the barn where the three men struggle against the poles. "What the hell are y'all doing?" Shane shouts.

"Shane, just back off!" Rick yells back.

Hershel looks to Rick. "Why do your people have guns?"

Shane laughs at that. "Are you kidding me? You see? You see what they're holding onto?"

Hershel narrows his eyes. "I see WHO i'm holding onto."

"No, man, you don't. These things ain't sick. They're not people. They're dead. Ain't gonna feel nothing for them 'cause all they do, they kill! These things right here, they're the things that killed Amy. They killed Otis. They're gonna kill all of us."

Y/N glances at the barn. Shane's making a lot of noise. "Shane! Shut up!"

"Hey, Hershel man, let me ask you something. Could a living breathing person, could they walk away from this?" He asks, pulling out his pistol.

"Shane! Don't!" Rick yells.

It's too late.

Shane shoots the female walker several times in the chest.

"That's three rounds in the chest. Could someone who's alive, could they just take that?! Why is it still coming?"

He shoots the walker again, a few more times.

"That's its heart, its lungs. Why is it still coming?"

Rick shouts. "Shane, enough!"

Shane scoffs. "Yeah. You're right man. That is enough." He says shooting the walker in the head, finally killing it.
————————————————————————