𝗷𝗮𝘆: 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝘂𝗺𝗲

1024 words

1024 words

it had been a long day. coming home from the blisteringly cold wind that made her cheeks freeze, she stepped into the hearth, immediately encased in a blanket of warmth that a sigh of relief. her scarf hung haphazardly as she had rushed in, disregarding the way it came undone.

she saw the figure of her favourite person watching something on his phone before he turned around and greeted her, putting his phone away now that there was something he didn't need to be distracted from.

"you changed your perfume."

"yes jay, i ran out."

"but i liked that one."

"so did i, but it's gone and discontinued."

she thought jay would let it go. he had bought that bottle for y/n a year and a half ago, and she hadn't gone a day without wearing it. jay said it reminded him of her, and it was his favourite scent he had ever smelled, which she didn't feel like contesting at the time.

jay, however, was a much bigger fan of perfume than y/n, and a much bigger fan of perfume than y/n was even aware of. he turned up the next day back from work a little later, and with a gift in a small black box wrapped in a velvet ribbon. when he produced an item from his bag, she suddenly understood why it had taken him so long.

"for you, my love." he offered it with excitement in his eyes, like he had waited forever to see the reaction to what was in the box.

"open it!" he commanded excitedly, the joy he received in giving the present painfully obvious across his face.

"okay, okay." she carefully unwrapped it, watching jay's eyes focus on nothing but the gift.

upon opening it, y/n saw the sleek bottle she had recently discarded, filled with imaginably a much more expensive perfume than it had been a couple of years ago.

"seriously jay?"

he gave her a hug, almost knocking her off her feet as he picked her up.

"what do you think?"

"i love it, darling," she replied. "i just can't believe you bought one."

jay shrugged with an "eh". "i it's more for me than you, i just like the familiarity of it all."

y/n nodded and sprayed herself, offering her wrist for jay to smell.

"smells like home."

there were times like these when she doubted if she belonged in a relationship where the other person dropped money on her so easily, but the cuddles and the kisses reminded y/n that they both knew it was more than that.

that night whilst falling asleep, as jay was playing with her hair, she told him that she loved him, unprompted. for what was usually a common and rather banal phrase, it felt more weighty the longer the two spent together. at the start of the relationship, it seemed to come out too easily, and every time it was said now there was a subtext that the love was somehow more profound than the last.

he twirled a few strands as he hummed into the back of her neck, causing her to move away at the uncomfortable sensation of his breath cold against her warm skin.

succumbing to the comfort of his arms, she returned to his side, turning around and placing a kiss on his lips.

"i love you," jay mumbled through the sweet kiss, finding his hands almost attached to her body as she moved around fidgeting.

"i love you too."

as she got ready the next day, seeing the bottle on her vanity made her smile, remembering his words. actions speak louder than words, she remembered and put on the perfume, wanting to show jay that she was using it even though she was already planning to.

she approached him as he was cooking breakfast, and watched how the silence lingered for a moment before he turned around, appreciating the moment.

after staring into each other's sleepy eyes like they were the most precious jewels on earth, y/n stepped away, taking out the crockery for him, and pouring two glasses of orange juice.

jay was in a bit of a rush, having schedules to attend to as soon as they had eaten, so he rushed around the kitchen. in his haste, he burned his wrist on the open flame of the gas-powered stove. watching him since she had entered the room, y/n was quick to run the cold water for him and finished up so he could rest his hand.

"you've got enough time to take it slow," y/n said whilst bringing over the finished plates of food to where he was sitting. just her words alone were like an anti-stress pill, relieving him of the burdens he felt.

"thank you, love."

y/n listened to jay's ramblings as they ate, letting him relax more, evident in his posture opening up. she could read him like a book, and still learn more as he spoke. in a less polished, very real state, jay was all the more alluring, the imperfect way his hair had a kink in it from how he had slept on it, and his bare face displaying bags under his eyes and his chapped lips that y/n had asked him to take care of.

with time, more of jay's cracks began to show. as someone who seemed well taken care of, it was a bit of a shock to see him at times when he didn't look or feel his best. throughout their relationship, he found it difficult to put himself first, and it was only as y/n fell in love with him that he found himself loveable. his own actions in taking care of y/n were mere reflections of his appreciation for her, paying an unidentifiable debt for changing himself for the better.

there were a few things that jay had and y/n didn't. he wanted to provide what he had to offer, be it his time, effort or commitment. y/n struggled to reciprocate his actions, doing what she could with what he gave.

inadequate, that was how she felt when he complimented him, and inadequate was how she would describe the words she used to show her awestricken gratitude.