𝗻𝗶-𝗸𝗶: 𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘀 𝗴𝗼 𝗯𝘆

1018 words

1018 words

ni-ki felt claustrophobic being in the same room for hours on end. if it was the dance studio, it was different, but anywhere else and he would spend the subsequent time concentrating only on how to make the time pass quicker. he would practise routines in his mind, but rehearsing dances that he had learnt over and over in his head only served that function for a few minutes, and then left ni-ki just as bored as he was before.

the sun shone through the window across the room, giving him a headache. sure, ni-ki wasn't averse to the sunlight, but it didn't serve any purpose when he was confined to one room; other than mocking him from the outside.

emulating the boy in detention, a girl sat at her desk with a book in her hands, and a mobile phone inside the book. with a despondent look painted across her face, y/n texted her friends to go home without her again; that she would have to spend an hour and a half in detention, again.

again, she thought. it was enough of a deterrent the first time, and yet, somehow, she still managed to find herself stuck in that same situation. she wasn't even interested in the book she had brought, and cursed her good planning that left her with no homework to complete, and nothing to do. at this juncture, she really was just twiddling her thumbs.

ni-ki saw her teacher, glaring at the girl every so often as he pricked his eyes between the tests on his desk and the book on hers. when ni-ki looked back to the room he was sat in, he looked around in gratitude that there was no adult supervisor today.

ni-ki wasn't alone in the room though, the class president of the final year students had been asked to supervise, albeit he wasn't currently doing a good job, with headphones in and his back to the younger boy. it was just a formality to have someone else present in the room, and he didn't pay any real attention to ni-ki, much to ni-ki's appreciation.

the clock on the wall ahead of him let ni-ki be aware that he was not free yet, with a tick-tock that put him in his place. it was taking all his night not to storm across the place and rip the clock from the nail it was hung up by.

after all, surely he didn't deserve this punishment. all he did was lock himself in the wc to hide from his friends. how was he to know that they would kidnap his crush and force her to knock on his stall?

it was jake's idea, he thought. it must have been. and by embarrassing him, didn't they soil his chances with her more than anything else? the sound of their laughter as they deserted the girl who was now in the room opposite him was all he could think about, aggravating him more than any length of time in isolation.

the more he thought about it, the less funny it was. what were they thinking? could they not have made him confess under normal circumstances, or at the very least, could they have warned him first? now here he was, suffocating in a room that was definitely not where he wanted to be. this was now the second time in two weeks that their plans had failed, the first of the two being when they locked him and y/n in the classroom after the period had ended. at this point, any interest in him would surely have dwindled, and sullied his chances.

ni-ki rummaged around his backpack, paging through worn out textbooks and tattered papers. from the deepest part of the compartment, he produced a small notebook, and took out a pen from the inside of his blazer. at first, he scribbled some doodles on the next empty page; colouring in smiley faces; drawing squiggles and shapes. when he found himself idealess he began to write. this was very uncharacteristic of the dancer, being someone who unmistakably hated academics.

dear y/n,

i don't think i have to warn u that i don't write letters. i think u already know that. tbh i'm just sitting in detention right now and i can really sympathise with you. i know my friends are dicks, and i'm sorry they got u in detention - again - but i guess they just see it as a joke. i'm honestly so fed up of it, but there's nothing i can do to stop them and i know that i'm no better.

it's just that i'm sat across from u right now, and wow u look so done, and i know that it's partly my fault - mainly the other guys - but still. i can't imagine how angry u must be. u don't look it, but god if i were u, i'd be pissed and everyone would know.

okay, i think i'm far enough into the letter now that if u don't care about me, u would have stopped reading by now. it's not really coming clean, but i don't know how else to describe it: the guys know i have a crush on u. there. i said it. they want us to get together or whatever but honestly i don't care. at this point i should think myself lucky to receive anything less than a punch to the face. even if u ever did, the guys definitely ruined that didn't they? anyways, that's it.

ps: i'll get over it - for u - and u don't have to speak to me ever again if u want to.

- ni-ki

he put his pen down, and sighed a breath of relief. he didn't want to give it to her; he didn't really want to admit that he had done something wrong, especially to her; but he knew he had to do it, so he waited patiently—wanting the seconds to go by like minutes and the minutes to go by like hours.