𝗷𝗮𝗸𝗲: 𝗳𝗼𝗼𝘁𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗳𝗮𝗻

1174 words

1174 words

the sound of cheering filled the school field, as the y/n's school went against its rival.

y/n wasn't one for football matches, she could think of other things that she would rather do, but she came to support her twin, ni-ki. it was his first game of the season, and with it being the last year of high school, it was one of the last times that would be the case.

in short, y/n felt guilty for missing so many of her brother's games, so she finally forced herself to come.

she wasn't dressed for it; her coat barely protected her from the cold, and the tips of her fingers were consequently numb. but, she didn't want to wear a scarf, and it was only a school game, so she would be home in no time.

she noticed ni-ki running onto the pitch, noticing him being the tallest, and by a long shot. y/n didn't inherit this gene though, so she stood on her tip toes to see between the shoulders of other parents, and classmates.

she wasn't exactly interested in the game, but what else would she look at? ni-ki was entertaining enough, himself, so naturally she focused on him.

he was so fast on the pitch, his long legs sweeping past anyone marking him, and his shots were so precise that she wondered herself why she had never taken up the sport.

however, her brother was but another player on the team, and there were other players who were just as skilled. she felt herself get into the game, and she was rooting for her brother more than she ever thought she would.

the crowd was loud, but she still concentrated on just the sound of the ball being passed. she found herself watching all the players on her twin's team, watching boy after boy concentrate.

there was one boy that stood out to y/n; so much that it made her blush. she didn't know who he was, other than the surname on his back, and his number: sim, 15. he wasn't the best player on the team, and y/n could tell. but he would constantly look out for ni-ki to pass to, so she thought that they must be close.

it was nice to see someone caring for her brother, even if it was just on the pitch. it made sim very attractive, and y/n was hard to please. to see the sweat dripping from his hair, and him pulling up his shirt to wipe off his face, y/n felt very shy to be in front of him, reacting to him in real time. she just hoped that she wouldn't get flustered too much to forget about the reason that she came here: to watch her brother.

if ni-ki saw her like this, he would try to matchmake, and y/n would be subjected to so many questions; it wasn't enough for her to then just casually like the sport, he would make her watch his every practice, and every game.

her brother was too focused on winning to see his sister, and anyways, he was on the other side of the pitch. y/n didn't realise, but the game was almost over, and ni-ki was trying to score the winning goal. he had possession of the ball for a while, evading tackles, but a larger boy of the other team knocked it out from under him, just before he reached the goal.

the ball span quickly towards the group directly in front of the goal, causing them to fight to be at the front, receiving the ball. y/n only saw the backs of those at the back, and crossed her fingers, hoping that it would be someone on her team to score.

the first thing she heard was cheering, and since it was her team's goal, she assumed they had scored. not long after, the whistle blew, and she saw ni-ki leaving the pitch.

however, there remained a group of boys arguing, about the goal. y/n couldn't make out what they were saying; they were at the other end, but she saw sim getting involved, so she naturally tried to understand what was happening.

"it was a handball," the captain of the other team spoke.

"it went through the goal though," sim shouted, gripping his hair to release his frustration.

the referee stood in the middle, trying to stop any fights from breaking out.

"if either of you say another word, i will book you," he shouted.

"but.." sim replied, only to be cut off.

"jake, you're booked, please leave the pitch."

y/n saw him walk off the pitch, dragging his feet behind him, as he looked down at the ground with a sad expression.

in the last few minutes, she had created a one-sided bond with this person, and she didn't want him to be upset. it made a hole in her heart open up, seeing him sad.

she looked down at her phone, and saw a text from ni-ki, telling her to meet him in the car park now. taking one deep breath, she ran to the car park, anticipating to give her twin a hug, as tradition when they reunited.

she saw him between heads, poking out obviously. shouting his name, she ran towards him, as he enveloped her in a hug.

"we won y/n! what did you think of that!" ni-ki held her close.

"nice?" she offered as an answer, not too sure of what to say.

she kept looking over at the exit, to see if sim would come through. and after minutes of stalling, to keep her conversation going, the mystery player came out of the tunnel, and headed towards the siblings.

she was surprised at first, maybe he had noticed her admiring him, but then she saw her brother, and realised that she was indeed an idiot for ever thinking so.

"i just got booked," he told ni-ki, kicking the gravel that they were stood on.

"what! how? the game is over!" ni-ki replied, not fully believing his friend.

"that ref was harsh, i guess that's my only game this season then."

ni-ki looked at him, cocking his head to the side to look for any signs of him lying. "well, you sound like my sister, this has been her first football game that she's ever seen me play."

"is that who you're here with?" he turned to y/n.

"hi, i'm jake, and you are..?"

"y/n, ni-ki's twin."

"i see you haven't gotten the tall genes from him," he commented.

"i see you haven't either," she quipped back.

"oh, but you sure have his cockiness," he mumbled to himself.

"what are you going to do now then instead of football?" ni-ki asked, breaking jake's gaze on his sister.

"i guess i'll just have to watch it every week with y/n."

"so I'm supposed to go every week now?" y/n felt her stomach drop, she hated the idea.

"definitely gorgeous."

"jake, she may be the same age as me, but she's still my sister," ni-ki became protective.

"how could i miss an opportunity?" was all jake said as he walked away, with a smug smile on his face.