𝘀𝘂𝗻𝗼𝗼: 𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗽𝗲 𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗺

987 words

987 words

requested by @kirxswiltedrxse 

"i'm sure there's something behind the picture frame."

"for the last time ni-ki, they said don't touch anything above eye level."

"for the last time ni-ki, get down from the chair."

"for the last time ni-ki, you're one step away from going to the hospital, not becoming spiderman."

there were 45 minutes left for the four of them to escape, and so far half of the time had been spent with one pair solving a couple of puzzles and opening some locks, and the other pair bickering, during which the older one told off the younger.

"how are we supposed to get out again?" jungwon asked, directing his attention away from the boy who had distracted everyone.

"i think we have to solve all the locks in this room, and maybe there's a key in one of the boxes?" sunoo gestured to the variation of safes and cabinets that were sealed with a variety of locks.

"what have you guys been doing other than flirting?" ni-ki joked, receiving a generous elbowing from jungwon.

"he means what did you solve," jungwon tried to reason.

"here," sunoo pointed to a poster and explained what he had worked out so far. letting y/n take the lead, the trio gathered around her as she explained what certain clues meant around the room.

"i just haven't worked out this riddle yet, and sunoo couldn't solve it either." she held up a laminated sheet of paper with numbers and letters.

the group stared at the sheet until ni-ki walked away, causing them to disperse and look at other areas. just as y/n picked up a clue, sunoo worked out where it went.

"we make such a good team!" sunoo hugged y/n excitedly.

"ugh," ni-ki sighed, "it's always sunoo this, y/n that, why isn't it ever 'ni-ki you're doing a great job' or 'ni-ki, you're so smart'?"

"that's because neither of those statements is true," sunoo said matter-of-factly, whilst raising his eyebrows.

there was a small monitor mounted to one of the walls of the room, which the gamemaster used to communicate with the players, and give extra hints. they had said that the group had three hints to use when they wanted, and so far ni-ki had been shut down by the others any time he made advancement on them.

at this point, the older three had searched everywhere for information and were lost. they decided easily that it was time to use up a hint.

hint one: find the missing pieces to create a code

"missing pieces?" y/n questioned, frowning at the others. "did we not look everywhere for those sorts of items?"

"maybe you didn't look hard enough," ni-ki joined in, although his disparaging comments weren't as appreciated.

ignoring him, y/n scanned the floor, and then the ceiling. landing on a plant pot in the corner of the room, she looked underneath it to see a key and a small cotton bag that contained jigsaw pieces.

"guys, i found something!" she called out. sunoo took the key from her, trying it in every lock until it opened one, in which he found an almost completed jigsaw puzzle.

"y/n, babe, look here."

the pet name caught her off-guard, and sunoo became aware of just how easily those words rolled off his tongue.

"sunoo, have you got something to tell us?" jungwon teased, whilst the boy ignored him, too busy taking the jigsaw pieces from y/n's hands and fitting them in.

"9631." he declared. "that's the code, try it." he ushered y/n to select the correct numbers and opened the box as it unlocked.

"yes!" they celebrated before taking note that they still had two boxes that were locked, and at least one unsolved puzzle to complete before they would be let out.

"ni-ki, why don't you try to solve this next one," jungwon called out to him, who was staring into space. he nodded, and observed it, stroking his chin dramatically.

"a hint please!" ni-ki called out.

hint two: the answer is right under your nose

"hey, that rhymed with the last hint."

jungwon tapped him on the shoulder and told him to move aside so he could have a look. a few moments later, sunoo pushed his way past them, pulling y/n along too, before guiding her hand around the answer that he had worked out. putting the next password into the directional lock, he took out a deck of cards.

"okay, let's see if there is anything unusual about these."

ni-ki grabbed the deck roughly and inspected a few of the cards intermittently as he looked through them closely: holding them up individually and running his finger along the patterns.

"ni-ki, you weren't supposed to shuffle them!" y/n didn't want to scold him, but he had messed up their chances at success.

"you messed up the order!" sunoo poked him in the shoulder, semi-playfully.

"it's okay, it's okay. we still have one hint left. we can just ask for the order the cards were in."

"why don't we ask for the passcode instead?" ni-ki was trying to annoy the others.

the correct order was displayed, and the gamemaster accidentally showed the answers too, with the kings all having an extra number on the back.

"quick, do it before they realise." sunoo read out the numbers to y/n in a voice almost as quiet as a whisper, before taking out the key for the exit.

"we did it!" sunoo picked y/n up and spun her around, before dropping her carefully and squishing her face in his hands. however, their cute moment was interrupted by jungwon before it could go any further.

"i see what's going on here," jungwon spoke up. "you invited us all to come here, but you two are having a date."

"that's not true, is it?" ni-ki looked from y/n to sunoo, and back from sunoo to y/n with a scowl.

y/n giggled, before burying her head in sunoo's shoulder.

"i thought you guys would have figured it out sooner."

"then again, you're both pretty shit at working things out."