𝗷𝗮𝘆: 𝗯𝗮𝗯𝘆𝘀𝗶𝘁𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴

2156 words

2156 words

y/n and her brother were at the mall, finishing a lunch of beef burritos from a stall. y/n felt so full, she didn't want to move, let alone be rushing about with the hyperactivity her brother had.

she had much to do today though; picking up a pair of shoes she had been watching for a while, buying groceries for the week, and babysitting her younger brother. so, she had to slug through it at some point. dragging her feet along the floor, she followed her overly enthusiastic brother towards the shops.

it was barely an hour after lunch, and her brother was incessantly dragging her towards his favourite shop—the shoe shop.

she didn't scorn him for running towards a shop that she had previously told him not to go into, knowing that she would be a hypocrite doing so; usually she didn't need to go in there. her brother almost ran in, pushing open the doors and looking in awe at the racks of shoes surrounding them. every wall was lined with bright colours, prints, and patterns.

y/n made her way over to the shoes she had been eyeing from afar, a duck egg blue pair of trainers; everyday shoes to replace her beaten up white ones, that had now been worn so much they had turned grey.

she picked up the shoe on display, inspecting the quality of the fabric and the hardness of the sole, whilst remembering that she was in the presence of a liability. looking over her shoulder, she saw her brother calmly sat on a bench, watching her, and looking around the shop quietly. she felt her chest expand, phew.

looking back at the shoes, she wondered for a second, did she really need them? but remembering her mum telling her that her shoes were too dirty, she decided to make the purchase.

she stared at the boxes stacked up high, partly wondering which box her size would be in, and partly wondering if she could reach the boxes.

she reached out, straining her arm to reach the highest box, as an employee came over.

"do you need any help miss?"

y/n felt embarrassed, but quickly accepted the help, asking the worker to find her size. he picked up most of the top boxes, looking for her size. he turned back to her:

"i'm sorry, your size isn't here, but i can look in the back for you at our extra stock?"

"yes please," she nodded.

he looked around, y/n catching his gaze to see what he was searching for.

then, he whispered to her. "look, i'm not allowed to do this but, follow me, it's scary back there. otherwise, you're not getting your shoes."

y/n smiled, looking back to see her brother happily distracted, and snuck off with the worker.

as he opened the back door, he introduced himself. "i'm jay by the way, nice to meet you."