𝗷𝘂𝗻𝗴𝘄𝗼𝗻: 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗲

trigger warning: suicidal thoughts, heart-wrenching angst

554 words

promises are easily broken, and people often only remember promises that they have made after they've been broken. 

y/n knew that jungwon had broken his promise to her; she knew it by the expression he crafted and even more so by the way that colour visibly receded from his skin when she started speaking to him. maybe he wasn't as pale as a ghost (or as pale as sunghoon for that matter), but enough for her to notice the stark change from his usual complexion.

the first day of high school, he had told her that he would always be on hand. "just a phone call away" he'd tell her, and that he would "always" put her first. 

that same day, she had told him he was being ridiculous. it was high school, and she was no longer a little child--she could deal with responsibilities, and look after herself--she had replied to him by asking him to put himself at equal importance. 

"i promise you i'll always be there," he said.

"okay, now promise me you'll let me be there for you too."

sealed with the linking of their pinky fingers, it was quite a juvenile action to accompany such powerful words. at the time, it was less important that they chose their words carefully, it'd be the meaning that would remain. 

somehow, jungwon remembered that moment word-for-word, and to his detriment, he had been drilling it into his head day after day, year after year. y/n had completely forgotten the conversation until jungwon brought it up. 

they had been sat at a picnic table, in the middle of the schoolyard, sharing their lunch as they always did. y/n had broken off a bite of kimbap and was busy shoving it down as quickly as humanely possible, at the moment jungwon reminisced about their precious moments.

"do you remember when i called you a few months ago at two in the morning?" y/n asked, currently wiping the tuna-mayo combination off her mouth and its surrounding area.

"what about it?" jungwon rested his head on her shoulder. she'd often purposely move when he did that, so her decision to stay still was not unnoticed by the current shoulder-occupant.

"it was because your mum had called, earlier in the day.."

jungwon looked unperturbed by her story, waiting for it to continue before he made a solid judgement.

"..she said you'd tried to.." y/n paused, thinking about her word choice,

"..end.. yourself."

jungwon nodded, swallowing the bitter taste of her words with his worry.

"which time?" he asked, watching as y/n's face understood the gravity of his word choice.

"it happened more than once?!" she tried to sound understanding, but the frustration in her voice came through.

"it happened more than once," he confirmed.

she shuffled in her seat, moving her body weight from one leg to another.

"well.. you broke your promise."

jungwon nodded, plainly and simply he hadn't stuck to his words.

"are you sure you're okay?" she asked, pulling him into a hug. "really okay?"

they pulled apart, and y/n saw a lone tear cascade across jungwon's cheek. she wiped it, and looked deeply into his sad eyes: she could do that forever.

"i didn't ever need to, break our promise" she smiled a little, trying not to frown at the memory, "you were always there."