𝗷𝘂𝗻𝗴𝘄𝗼𝗻: 𝗶𝗻𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗻𝗶𝗮

1067 words

1067 words

it was another night in which neither jungwon or y/n could go to sleep, and they blamed their problems once again on the stress they felt: of the pressure of school, their parents' incessant remarks, and the insecurity that they felt with just being themselves—they felt that they were never enough.

even if their future seemed dull, they at least had each other for the present, to light up the other's day.

y/n tossed and turned, sighing beneath the duvet as she found her mattress too hard, again. she reached over to grab her phone and distract herself, to tire herself out until she collapsed and fell asleep.

unbeknownst to y/n, jungwon was doing the same, only a few miles away, at his house. jungwon picked up his phone, as it seems all did in this scenario, as y/n had too. jungwon opened his instagram, and looked through his direct messages, looking for any signs of life, even though it was late. he scrolled through his best friends' messages (the most recent ones) and kept mindlessly dragging his finger across the screen, swiping down, down, and further down.

jay, sunoo, heeseung.. they were all fast asleep by this time, but jungwon still wasn't. he opened up a playlist that he had made a few days ago, and sank backwards, onto his pillow.

jungwon opened the app he had just visited once more, checking his messages as if he was waiting for one. to his surprise, one came through; a short message replying to him asking about the homework in his chemistry group chat;

———————————————
16:43pm
yo guys what's that website called again?

———————————————

———————————————
03:14am
@-kkyumin
go fuck yourself
———————————————

and there it was, changmin, his ex-best friend had just given jungwon another reason as to why he was just that; an ex-friend.

but, on a more optimistic note, this message now sent his chemistry group chat to the top of his contacts, so he had more people to now stalk.

in the meantime, y/n was fighting to keep her eyes open, wanting to complete another level of geometry dash before she would submit to the lethargy slowly taking over her body.

jungwon had just seen a flash of green on the list, although after looking at it more closely, he realised that he had been mistaken, clearly his eyesight had been stretched to its max today. but he looked again, and it was there, an online icon next to someone in his class—that wasn't changmin. this was his seatmate, y/n! he didn't even bother sending a message, and decided to ring her instead, being so energised from this sight.

y/n blinked at her screen, as the level ended, finally. she dropped her phone onto her chest, and it hurt—and it was heavy—but she was too tired to care. she let herself get comfortable, and once again tried to go to sleep.

this time, however, it wasn't just her own surplus energy that kept her awake, but jungwon's. smiling at his contact, y/n quickly picked up, not wanting anything more than to talk to someone at this hour.

"hi jungwon," y/n whispered down the phone. "i can't sleep."

"me neither princess," he spoke, his voice hoarse since he hadn't drunk in hours.

"what do you suggest? i'd come up with something but i can't be bothered," she giggled.

the boy on the other side of the phone melted at her laugh, he felt himself begin to choke on his own spit, being flustered by the sound of her.

"how about i sing you a little something?"

"i'd have to be deaf to turn down that offer," y/n replied, and with just those words jungwon could picture how she was smiling at their call.

"fall asleep at any time princess, get comfortable and ready to listen to me."

jungwon heard her shuffling around in her bed, and took it as a sign to start singing.

"don't worry, i'll be there,
let your dreams set you free,
y/n you'll be safe with me.
let's wish to fly upon cotton clouds above,
be quiet and soar through the night,
close your eyes, hold on tight,
princess, you'll be safe with me.."

jungwon began to quieten down, finding himself falling asleep soon after, with his phone at his side, still connected to y/n's.

jungwon woke up the next day to rattling coming from his phone, which confused him a lot. that was until he saw her contact and realized that he must have fallen asleep without hanging up, and who knows what he was sleep talking about—he didn't, at least.

y/n was sleeping in, as per usual, not wanting her feet to drag her out of her bed to get dressed. as much as she knew that she had to go to school, and there would be no way around it, she still refused to get up.

y/n's breaths through the phone put jungwon at ease, dispelling any pessimistic thoughts. he didn't know whether to talk to her, or whether that would just spook her and make her not want to talk. he decided whispering would be a safe option, and that even if it would scare her, she couldn't slap him for it because he wasn't there in person, not for a few hours at least.

'wakey wakey,' he spoke quietly, his voice deep but soft. talking to y/n somehow seemed to give jungwon the ability to sound like honey; words dripping from his tongue so naturally whenever they spoke.

he could hear y/n stir, on the other side of the phone, becoming more conscious with each passing second. the only thing to come out of her mouth would be 'huh?' and jungwon payed attention to her lack of a bigger outburst.

it seemed that they would feel nothing but warmth in each other's presence, being a pacifier for one another. y/n still wasn't aware of this, however, as she leaned over, she saw his name.

'good morning to you too jungwon,' she sighed, barely audible and barely awake, 'i now know the reason i slept so well, because you were there, i just didn't know it.'

'who would've though we would've slept together last night', the boy pushed.

y/n was too content to argue, she had enjoyed it. it wasn't what she had thought she would have done last night, but it was still enjoyable nonetheless. the two had spent a night being intimate, and began to wonder if there would now be more than a friendship growing, going forwards.