𝗷𝘂𝗻𝗴𝘄𝗼𝗻: 𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘀

2114 words

2114 words

a thick haze set amongst the building. sparkling streamers and shiny balloons filled each corner of the gymnasium. climbing ropes and basketball hoops peaked through the small sections of the walls that weren't covered by masses of banners advertising the upcoming school dance.

the dance that was currently taking place. the hum of twice's 'yes or yes' could only just be made out over the mumble and chatter of students that flooded the dance floor. one boy started b-boying in the most attention seeking way as another girl stole the room with her grace in dancing. one boy took y/n's breath away as he did every time.

"jungwon." she tried to not react to his closeness to her in the moment, but it was very hard for her to think straight, and have a conversation with him, well, whilst being face to face.

"y/n," he smiled politely. "you scrub up nice. it's funny to see you without jeans and a jacket on."

she felt the need to respond to his compliment. "well, mr yang, the same goes for you."

with that short interaction, she left. knowing that he was just being cordial, since he had a thousand responsibilities tonight. the snack bar y/n sauntered over to was crammed full of chocolates, and fizzy drinks. what else would be expected from a group of teens planning a a school party?

watching jungwon stride across the room with ease, and talk to a handful of girls that y/n believed were a thousand times prettier than her, she wondered how many in the room had a crush on the aforementioned boy. it was customary to compliment his looks, but how many people fell in love with his personality as well? y/n felt her hands shaking from the jealousy that was running through her. she didn't want to be jealous, but she couldn't help it.

jungwon could feel her eyes following him; she made him feel so small. like a moth to a flame, he could only feel himself drawn closer to her, and before he knew it, she was back talking to him again.

"your hands are so big." y/n tried flirting the only way she knew, measuring her fingers against her crush's. y/n could hardly expect to have him fall for her, since jungwon was the class president. everyone doted on him, and she was no other. he clasped her fingers with his, intertwining them so beautifully that y/n's heart could only flutter more.

a conversation about how filled the room was, and how mature they had gotten sprouted, occupying the two of them.

again, he had to leave abruptly. after the dj caught his attention (by waving cue cards in the air), jungwon realized what time it was: time to announce the prom king and queen. his hands shook as he fiddled with the cards, hoping to whatever god was out there that he would be prom king, and although technically he could just announce himself as prom king, he knew to be honest.