𝗷𝗮𝘆: 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗹𝗲𝗱𝗴𝗲

1014 words

1014 words

"he always knew too much":

at least that was what sunghoon had told y/n when she first visited her brother and his friends. it seemed cool though, that he was so smart, at least to y/n.

sunghoon had never been gifted at school, so y/n had taken on the role of the model student in their household. she had been teased endlessly by sunghoon about her love for school, which she now considered jay would have been at the receiving end of too.

really, it was her brother's love language to tease others around him that he cared about, just wanting to get a rise out of the said person, nothing more. he had told her on more than one occasion that he was jealous of her talent, and never took his ridiculing too far.

he had told her all about jay before they had even met: he had told her that he was american; that he was the same age as sunghoon; and that he was too clever to be her brother's friend.

it made her giggle, reminding y/n of the time her english teacher refused to believe that she was related to sunghoon after seeing how different the two were academic. the teacher watched her mother enter for a meeting and was in disbelief that y/n was somehow related to someone so idle.

"he's also rich, so if i ever need anything, i convince him to get me it."

y/n shook her head at her brother's admission, as she reminded him that she "would never take advantage of anyone like that."

her brother's dorm was rather clean, to y/n's delight. as many times as sunghoon had told her that he kept his room clean, she wouldn't believe him. he had a tendency towards embellishing the truth, and sometimes just outright lying to avoid trouble. her brother had never bothered with caring for his space before, so it was interesting that he had now picked up that habit. y/n couldn't help but ask herself if this could have been jay's influence.

when y/n finally did meet the boy that her mind had hyped up so much, it was a pleasant surprise for him to be so sociable, and willing to talk to her specifically. she spent the whole car ride there summoning up the courage and rehearsing sentences and questions in her head.

she bowed at him and held her hand out for him to shake, as she had seen in american films.

"hi, i'm y/n."

y/n tried to hold back, wanting to not seem too keen, but it was hard for her to control her bubbling excitement when she had finally found someone who shared so many niche interests with her. she leaned over the kitchen island to listen to him better, with a hand on her chin and eyes glittering with wonder. y/n became enthralled by his words; his storytelling and recounting of memories that y/n wished to experience, and his expertise in answering any question she had, be it about science or philosophy.

it would be easy for anyone to see that jay was smart, but it was how y/n noted his enthusiasm and how animated he became that she saw the real him. sure, he looked like any of her brother's friends, sculpted, sociable and competitive, but y/n also saw herself in jay; a nerd who just wanted to geek out about things with others around.

unsurprisingly, when jay led y/n into his room to show her his new vinyl record, the room was spotless. even as jay opened a cabinet to retrieve the disk, his shelves were neat and clutter-free. minimal decorations, just a guitar in the corner, and a set of perfumes on display.

"let me put it on so you can listen to it."

sitting on his bed as the soft mellow tune of the song that was playing muffled y/n's shuffling around to get comfortable; jay pulled up a blanket, a gesture that enveloped almost each one of her senses. he began to tell her all about the song they were listening to; where it was recorded, who recorded it, and what it meant to him.

y/n wasn't sure when she had risen from the bed, but sunghoon watched her slowly sway side to side in jay's arms, closing her eyes all the while.

getting her attention in the form of a shout down the corridor, she apologised to jay and went towards the voice. her brother stood there, arms crossed and a look across his face that y/n knew all too well.

jay followed her into the front room after a short pause in which she and sunghoon stood facing one another in silence, communicating through their eyes. it wasn't hard to see what sunghoon was suggesting, but y/n had never had a boyfriend before, and she didn't want that from jay.

meeting jay was like meeting a teacher and a friend all in one; someone that it would be exhausting to spend every day with but who enriched your life much more. y/n liked him, but she didn't like him like that.

"stop it, sunghoon."

meanwhile, jay stood against the wall, watching the interaction but not understanding it.

the lingering tension didn't last for long though, as sunghoon decided to spill some of y/n's hobbies to embarrass her in front of the older boy who now threatened to take his sister from him. looking up at jay expectantly, y/n was relieved to see him holding in a smile rather than a laugh. unlike sunghoon, jay wanted to hear about her interests, not having been a part of her life yet.

whilst sunghoon told her to stop, jay encouraged her to continue, talking about anything she wanted. at times, y/n forgot she was talking to another person and not just herself because it was strange and unique to feel so comfortable being herself.

even if she had been talking none stop for ten or twenty minutes, she would ask jay a question and see crystal clear that he was still paying attention.