𝗷𝗮𝗸𝗲: 𝗲𝘅

1054 words

1054 words

he had never shouted at y/n before, so she didn't know what to do. she was trying to believe that this was the same person that helped pick her up and gave her unconditional love. right now, her ex-boyfriend wasn't being very loving, nor was he going to try to put her back together again.

taking the initiative, she packed a bag with clothes and other essentials quickly and got out of there. not needing to be there any longer and hurting herself over again, she left, although she didn't know where she was running to. thankfully it wasn't raining, because in her grey haze, she had forgotten to wear a coat, now feeling the cold force of the wind as it crept through the baggy long sleeves of her shirt, the thin fabric billowing as it continuously slapped and fell away from her skin.

she tried to conserve her warmth, clasping her palms shut as heat quickly escaped, leaving her fingers cold. they were shaking too, although y/n guessed they might have been doing that for a while since she was still nowhere near calm.  

hurtful words that had just been spoken still echoed in her head, and she searched for a way to quieten the noise. walking around the city felt lonely with no one to hold, the streets stretching further and feeling much bigger than before. streetlights and car horns fought to pollute the area, both blaring enthusiastically loudly.

dirty puddles and waste knocked around at her feet, mud splashing up occasionally at the back of her exposed legs, which were uncovered because she didn't have time to change. the dirt dried down as ashy grey streaks, uncomfortable and itchy as she walked. her socks were stained, shoes she desperately tried to keep dry.

she didn't know where she was heading, just following the street further towards the city, where maybe the lives of everyone else would occupy her head and she'd just find someone. it wasn't a situation she had ever planned for, so she was anxious not just because she was alone and vulnerable.

they lived in a suburb, the type of place where houses were just far enough away from each other that they wouldn't hear screaming, but close enough that y/n felt embarrassed to be walking down the street without a partner. no one was going to take her in, despite how much she wanted someone to. 

it could have been minutes that she was walking down the street, maybe even an hour at this point. she had her phone with her, but she was almost too afraid to check. if she just waited it out, maybe she would wake up from this nightmare, open her eyes and roll over to see her boyfriend, and their neat apartment. 

she didn't need to pinch herself to know she wasn't dreaming. she was living a very real nightmare, evidenced by the cold tears that made her eyes sting, and the low temperature that was making her shiver. 

reaching a set of traffic lights, she rested a hand on the dirty metal as the cars sped past, the coloured lights changing from red to amber to green.

there was a 24-hour mcdonalds down the road, which was filtering in a few people every ten minutes or so. it was empty inside and smelled of bleach and fat, yet y/n didn't mind. any company she was to have would be taken in graciously since she didn't have much room for starting a conversation with a stranger. she paid for a small portion of fries and a coffee, which did little to stop her eyes from falling shut as she finished her food.

it could've been days that she was sleeping there, on a small buffet with no one intervening, although the darkness outside told her it had only been a short while. she yawned as she adjusted her posture, her neck sore from contorting it into an uncomfortable position. 

a worker came over as they cleared a nearby table, politely asking a frail y/n to leave. she nodded, understanding that she had outstayed her welcome and left without arguing with the member of staff.

no one wants me.

it felt even colder this time as she walked through the door, the night looming ahead, small fragments of the streetlights reflected on water that settled in the tarmac. no one was on foot anymore, but her. the roars of cars driving past too quickly and infrequently along the disused road she had headed back upon (as a shortcut) flew through her ears, ringing from cars that had already passed or were about to. 

she had made a beeline for her home; she had nowhere else to go. she was prepared to sleep on the couch or even on the floor if he let her because she did pay half the rent too.

her hands were rubbed sore, eyes hollow from the onset of fatigue she had endured until she broke. she felt weak, in the heart and the rest of her body, afraid she would topple over when her legs gave in. despite that, she had no choice but to carry on, not disregarding her situation but not in a place to improve it. 

her joints were sore, improperly rested and her muscles tired. she had been taking care of herself the best she could, yet it seemed as though someone else had taken that luxury away from her since she was now left bereft of even the bare minimum of emotional stability.

as she approached the front door, she saw a dim yellow light peaking through the curtains. at least he would be awake to let her in if he did.

when she knocked on the door, he answered straight away, as though he had been staying up to make sure she came back home. he wasn't exactly happy to see her, but he was at least relieved that he could stop worrying. 

"i think it's best for us to talk tomorrow."

jake's gaze was on the floor, avoiding her face as though seeing it would break him in an instant. he held the door open as she walked past, muttering a quiet 'i'm sorry' that was just audible enough for him to hear.