Chapter 4) The supply run

Start from the beginning

"Pssst. Y/N!" He whispers back with a smile.

"Look what I found." She says holding up a chocolate bar.

He gasps and moves closer.

"Don't even think about it! We will share it." She opens it up and breaks it in half, giving the smaller piece to Glenn with a giggle.

His mouth drops open with fake betrayal which causes her to laugh harder.
————————————————————————
As they are nearing the end of their run, gunshots ring out in the street.

"What is that?" T-Dog asks, making a run to the staircase.

"I have no idea." Y/N mumbled as she follows close behind.

They get to the roof and Merle is laughing.

"Look at this idiot! Thinking he can outrun all those freaks!"

T-Dog and Y/N glance at each other before joining the rest of the group looking over the edge. Down below they see a man in a sheriffs uniform trying to outrun a massive hoard of rotters. His horse is getting devoured by some, while others try to reach him as he crawls under an abandoned military tank.

"What is he doing out here all by himself like that?" Andrea asks shaking her head.

"Doesn't matter. We're screwed now." Morales replies as he looks down at the now full streets.

Glenn fumbles in his bag for his walkie as everyone gives him a weird look. He shushes everyone before holding down the speak button.

"Hey, you. Dumbass."

Y/N stifles a laugh as he continues.

"Yeah. You in the tank. Cozy in there?"

There's no response for a moment and the group waits, hoping the poor guy is still alive.

Glenn presses the button again. "Hey. You alive in there?"

A pause. Then the radio crackles. "Hello? Hello?"

The group takes a collective sigh of relief.

"There you are. You had me wondering." Glenn replies.

The voice comes back. "Where are you? Outside? Can you see me right now?"

Glenn looks over at us before continuing. "Yeah, I can see you. You're surrounded by walkers. That's the bad news."

"There's good news?"

Glenn pressed the button again. "No."

"Listen, whoever you are, I don't mind telling you I'm a little concerned in here."

"Oh man. You should see it from over here. You'd be having a major freak-out."

Andrea rolls her eyes and reaches for the walkie but Glenn pulls back.

"Got any advice for me?" the man says, worry laced in his voice.

"Yeah. I'd say make a run for it."

Merle chokes out a laugh.

The voice comes back a little irritated. "That's it? 'Make a run for it'?"

"My way's not as dumb as it sounds. You've got eyes on the outside here. There's one geek still up on the tank but the others have climbed down and joined the feeding frenzy where the horse went down. With me so far?"

The voice responds. "So far."

"Okay, the street on the other side of the tank is less crowded. If you move now while they're distracted, you stand a chance. Got ammo?"

"In that duffel bag I dropped out there, and guns. Can I get to it?"

Y/N notices the large black duffel bag on the street outside the tank. She glances up at Glenn and shakes her head.

He continues. "Forget the bag, okay? It's not an option. What do you have on you?"

"Hold on." The radio goes silent for a moment and everyone waits for his response. His voice comes back a moment later. "Yeah. Yeah. I've got a Beretta with one clip, 15 rounds."

"Make 'em count. Jump off the right side of the tank, keep going in that direction. There's an alley up the street, maybe 50 yards. Be there."

Glenn goes to put the walkie away when his voice comes back. "Hey, what's your name?"

"Have you been listening? You're running out of time."

"Right."

The radio goes silent and Morales looks to Glenn. "This is really stupid."

Glenn shakes his head. "I'm not just gonna let him die."

Y/N nods at that. "Me neither. Let's go."
————————————————————————