Chapter 31

Ani pulled her headset over her ears to block out the sound from outside her cabin as she buried her face in her covers. She had let Aeriin make a playlist for her, and dance music blared in her ears. Even though she wanted to jump up and dance, she found sitting and moping much easier.

She raised her eyes slightly above her pillow to look at the wall.

Was murdering her justified? She asked herself, hoping for an answer. She sighed when she remembered that Alex was dead, so her evil self wouldn't answer her.

She sat up and put a hand over her chest where Alex was stabbed. "I'm not stupid... I know his blood fell into my open wound... so I have to have his powers... right?" She asked herself. "I didn't drink it directly... but I should still have it..."

Once again she was answered only with Britney Spears shouting "Work Bitch" into her ears.

She closed her eyes and welcomed the music, for the first time not hearing a billion things around her. So much so that when the hand touched her shoulder, she grabbed it and threw the person over her shoulder, pinning them onto the bed.

"Arm doesn't bend that way Anikke!" Aeriin whined as she gripped Ani's hand with her free one trying to pry her grasp off.

Ani released her arm. "What the hell are you doing here? How did you get in here?" She asked as she pulled her headphones off leaving them around her neck.

"I came to check on you, and you put the symbol on my hand or whatever so I can come in here." Aeriin told her. "Darcel and Taraka went home, I figured I should be the one to try and talk to you."

Ani wanted to just tell her to leave her alone. She had hoped she could calm herself and think about what she'd done. But instead Aeriin had chased her.

Ani's eyes widened a bit realizing why.

She's keeping her promise. No arguing... don't start a fight with her Ani. Ani told herself before sighing and looking at Aeriin sympathetically.

"Thanks for coming." Ani told her.

"I can leave if you want, but I prefer to talk it out." Aeriin told her.

"Talk it out." Ani nodded. "Not sure how to start though."

"You killed her for killing all those people. So I get the reasoning and I'm not upset. If I could hear all their thoughts I probably would have done the same thing. But we couldn't so at the time you looked a little psychopathic." Aeriin shrugged.

"Thanks." Ani rolled her eyes.

Aeriin took her hands. "You can't just kill people. I get why you did it and so if you do it again in that situation I won't be upset. But you let Alice live even though she's done horrible things."

"I let her go because she wasn't a threat anymore."

"At the time."

"No. She's not a threat at all. The real her is in Exodious, and the one we faced ran away to avoid me attacking her again. With Alex dead, that Alice won't be able to sustain herself so she likely doesn't exist anymore." Ani explained.

"Really?" Aeriin asked.

"Yeah." Ani moved her arms behind her head as she stretched. Aeriin leaned over putting her head to Ani's chest to listen to which song was playing. This of course caught Ani by surprise thinking she was about to do something dirty, so her face turned red.

"Nice playlist." Aeriin smiled as she leaned back.

"It's your playlist." Ani answered.

"You can plug it into the speaker and we can both listen." Aeriin offered.