Chapter 18

Aeriin whined. "Please help me!"

"You're supposed to learn on your own." Ani answered.

"I was busy getting a giant rat out of the sewers!"

"That's not my fault." Ani huffed.

"Seriously!" Aeriin groaned.

Aeriin was laying on her own bed doing her homework, Ani however was hanging by her knees on Aeriin's exercise bar doing hanging sit ups. "You need to learn how to do it yourself."

"But I don't know how to do it! Show me how, don't tell me the answers." Aeriin answered.

"Hand me the book." Ani told her.

Aeriin held the book up to her upside down companion, only to have her open it and flip a couple pages and hand it to Aeriin. "This explains how to do it, stop asking me, and let me focus." Ani told her.

Aeriin groaned. "If you keep treating me like this I'll ask Darcel and Taraka to teach me instead of you."

"Those two are useless." Ani answered.

"Is there anything I can do to make you a better tutor?" Aeriin asked.

"I'm not a tutor, I'm a demon slayer who's being force to attend school even though I've lived in the minds of generations of people who've gone through school, so essentially I've gone through several years of school myself anyway. I don't want anything to do with school."

"What if I give you other things to think about?" Aeriin asked with a smirk.

Ani blushed a bit before falling off the exercise bar, landing on the floor hard. She yelped, but Aeriin rushed over to her quickly. "Are you alright?" Aeriin asked.

"I think I broke my back." Ani answered.

"So you're alright?" Aeriin questioned.

"Sure." Ani sighed as she sat up, coming to eye level with Aeriin who was kneeling in front of her. "I'm not going to help you with your homework. Use the book to teach you or email your teacher."

"I don't care about my homework anymore." Aeriin told her. "How are you feeling?"

"My back hurts, I already told you that."

"Other than that, how are you feeling?"

Ani shrugged. "I'm fine. I haven't seen my reflection in a while, so I don't know if I'm still crazy or not."

"You've never been crazy." Aeriin smiled. "You're as sane as sane can be."

"Or so you say." Ani rolled her eyes.

"I know you're sane."

"How can you know what goes on in my mind?"

"Cuz I can read it." Aeriin chuckled.

"Which is cheating."

"Oh well." Aeriin shrugged before leaning forward, and kissing Ani softly on the lips. "If you were really insane, you wouldn't be so reserved when it comes to your lust."

"O-oh?" Ani questioned, the trembling in her voice apparent.

"You care so much about me that you don't want to let yourself go. You try your very hardest to be so very careful, so there's no way you could possibly be insane."

"I try." Ani admitted. "I just want to make you happy. You're the only thing I really care about." Ani's bronze eyes studied Aeriin's expression, checking for any doubt. Ani's hands went behind her back, as if she was trying to restrain herself.